icon

Tail light Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I just got some jaguar tail lights for my car and i was wondering if theres any way i can make my blinker also a turn on as a tail light and brake light but also work as a blinker when i put the blinkers. Do I only have to tap into my + of the tail light into the blinker with a diode so i wont get feedback when i use the blinker or do I need a relay?
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
anyone? anyone at all?????
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2003 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
ummm.... yeah you'll have to hook up a diode between the brake light and the signal light so that the blinker doesn't flash the brake lights but this issue is, your blinker light is only a single element light, which means it will not be dim like a running light, it will have two options, on or off. So yes, you can do it but the signal bulb will ony come on with the brakes.     Also this may be illegal in your area, you may want to check your local laws before doing this, some states will not allow the brakes and signal to be together as when you ally the brakes, you will not be able to tell if the signal is on, and since most people hit the brakes before turning, it would in essence suck (for the guy behind you) you'd get alot of fingers.  "Use yer signals ***hole"
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i kinda figured if I hit the breaks you wouldnt be able to tell if the blinkers were on. Oh well, cant have everyting u want lol thanks defective.Although it took over a month to get a response, thank you
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
np
-doh- 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
best way to do this is go get ur self a new hosing.. with a lightbulb for both break & signal... you can find it at any car parts place... right now ur bulb will only have + & - wires if u get the new break & signal hosing ull have 2+ and 1 - .. so you can hook one of the + up normaly & tap the other one into rhe talelight/breaklight wire..
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2003 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a Circuit I found in the Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits Volume 1.
Tail light Relays -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
what you could have done, is - put a relay on each of your brake light bulbs, that when on, provide power to each bulb, and when off, they ground that side of the bulb.  then for each rear turn signal wire, you put a relay on the opposite side of the brake light bulb, that does the same thing (i.e. power on when relay on, ground on wire when relay off).  this is by far the simplest way to do it, and it will accomodate all situations.   to make it sound simple without yet ANOTHER drawing.... lets say we put the turn signal relays on each bulbs right hand wire, and brake relays on the left hand wire.  turn signals off, hit brakes - brake relay comes on, provides power on left hand wire, right hand wire grounded because turn signal relay off.  hit turn signals, same thing, relay provides power to right hand wire, left hand wire is ground because brakes off. now, hit brakes, and turn on turn signals, both both relays come on and provide power on both wires, bulb goes off -- turn signal blinks to "off" - and provides ground on right hand wire, brake light bulb illuminates... turn signal blinks back to "on", relay comes on, bulb goes out.  it works..... if you REALLY need me to, i can draw a quick drawing to illustrate...... post here and i'll do that..... it'll eliminate all that stuff in the previous post... it's really quite simple to do.
lil_joker2k2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
THANKS GUYS! i had not checked the site in a while, didnt think anyone else would reply, i'll try to it this weekend..thanks again!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic