icon

Passlock 2 problems?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sound World 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well heres the story, about a year ago I installed a Viper 550ESP alarm,RS combo into a 2000 Grand Am GT.  No problems at all, I used a universal Passlock 2 bypass module one that has dipswitches for variable resistances.  Everything worked fine using either the key or the R.S. to start it.  I got a call from her tonight, cause she's a friend of mine, and tells me her car won't start.  So I started to troubleshoot over the phone, turns out she hasn't used the R.S. for about a month cause the battery in the remote is dead.  The car just cranks and doesn't turnover, so I told her to wait 10 min( thinking it went into long tamper mode) and try it again.  It then started for about 2 sec. and died.  They could also keep it running while spraying fuel at the injectors.  So I told her to turn the key to the run position with the doors closed for 15min and try it again.  No LUCK!  She then told me that it did this when she bought the car- Before I put the R.S./Alarm in.  The vehicle was under warranty then, so she called the dealer cause it wasn't starting, they towed it and when it arrived at the dealership it started right up.  So I'm thinking it's the PL2 decoder built into the BCM or the key cylinder.  The only other thing I think might affect it is if the bypass module is staying on maybe due to a faulty brain backfeeding a ground to the bypass.  That would be rare but I'm going to drive 3 hours on Tuesday to check it out.  ANY help, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!  I also plan to bring a 555L and all the parts and tools needed to resolder the PL2 system back to stock, and if nessecery pull the entire alarm.  Oh, and I also told them to check ALL fuses, in case of a blown fuel injector fuse.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is by far a better forum than the one on DEI's directechs site!!!!!!

-Brandon 

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
I hate the bypasses with the dipswitches. Swap it out for the 555L, and reset the passlock system (key on for 15+ minutes) and see what happens.
Sound World 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply JWorm, that was the only PL2 bypasses we had at the time, now it's nothing but DEI bypasses.  That's something I will try out. 

Anyone else have ideas, maybe bypass PL2 completely?????

floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
If I ignored the part about the -1- time it started for like 2 seconds I'd say the fuel pump is shot. Mine did this last year (also under warranty). HOWEVER it would never start. Chevy mech stated that the Chevys require a certain pressure (with a small threshold) from the pump or the computer will not open the injectors. I noticed that the pump wasn't sounding right prior and then that day it was really quiet.. I dobt she would notice the difference cause the mech I talk to sound it sounded fine to hime when he was troubleshooting it on the street.
Good luck!
p.s. There was -always- pressure in the system. He release some through a valve close to the injectors and it would build it back up, he just didn't have a guage to verify it was enough pressure.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
as I side note. And I shouldn't say this cause I'm proabbly going to get yelled at I hate it when it comes to women and car trouble.
I had a lady yell at me to the point I stayed after hours cause the "alarm" installed at our shop wouldn't let he start the car. I walked her through everything and she said it just wouldn't start. When I finally walked the 2 blocks to the car the KEY wouldn't fit in the iginiton of the -used- Grand Am! Freakin cylinder broke or something which means she just ignored all the trouble shooting I did on the phone! Retard.
Sound World 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice floaterr.  I know their was someone helping her and they changed the fuel filter.  I'm no mechanic, but if it has to do with the PL2 system, I should be able to get it to work whether I have to bypass it or not.  But if its mechanical I doubt I can do anything.  I'll still be driving 3 hours their and 3 hours back just to check the PL2 bypass, and maybe pull the whole thing out.  You know how some dealerships are, if they here of a remote starter installed they'll blame everything on that.  I'll be going their tommorow, and whatever I figure out I'll post it and let you all know how it went.  Until then, any other help you guys have is much appreciated!!! I will check this forum right before I leave! 

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
You can always use a relay and a resistor to bypass the sytem, that way you know for sure that the problem is not the Passlock II if the car still doesnt start.
I am just curious if you installed an anti-grind relay? It is not directly related to the passlock problem, but I had real problems when I installed one in a 2002 grand am. I solved that problem though by cutting out the relay, which is when I noticed that the car had a factory anti-grind feature. The way it related to the passlock is that I had to turn the key to start before hitting the break or the theft light would turn on. i bring this up because i had a dipswitch bypass module installed initially and before I realized that the anti-grind relay was causing the problem i was having, I thought it may have been the bypass module so I replaced it with a relay and a resistor which is when i noticed the problem with the theft light turning on if I didint turn the key all the way to start before hitting the break to turn off the RS. I just thought I would let you know that in case anything comes up. I thought it was funny that I had to drive 3 hours there and 3 hours back to fix that one too. Actually I went 3 hours to fix the passlock problem then took off back and got a call half way home that i didnt fix anything, so i turned around and figured out the problem with no help from them. The supid part was that the person couldnt tell me anything abot how the car was reacting, so I assumed it was the passlock. the second time i went back i tested the car out by driving it around and stopping and getting out and doing everything you would normally do when running around town with a car and that is when i noticed that the starter would crank after I shut the car off if I had started the car remotely prior to driving. the starter would crank as long as the key was in the accessory position and would keep cranking until I put it into the ignition position. I doubt you will run into that though, im just going off now though, sorry so long.
Good luck
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Sound World 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Well floaterr, you were right on the money, it WAS the fuel pump!  It only cranked, and never started unless you sprayed fuel into the throtlle body.  And since I was up their I verified the PL2 interface and everything checked out.  Thanks for the post jrilla, there was no anti-grind relay put in though.  Nothing like driving 3 hours to figure out its a bad fuel pump!  We had it towed to a GM dealer and they replaced the fuel pump.  I can't believe the pump went out on a 2000 with only 40,000 miles on it, what a high performance pump!  Must have to change fuel pumps as often as you change wiper blades-LOL!!  Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic