Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
payko 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
i want to build a sub enclouser and speaker pods for a
95 civic and would like to do it in carbonfibef material
can anyone tell me were can i find the materials for this project?????????
intensem1rider 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
iv found carbon fiber just by typing in 'carbon fiber' in a search engine, there will be big companys.
But im warning you, its not cheap!
You should fibre glass the enclosures, then just cover them with a single layer of carbon fibre after you get the fibreglass to the shape and smoothness you want,
Sound World 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Check out shopmaninc.com they have quite a variety, and the prices seem fairly reasonable.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone ever done this? because i was thinking about it and it would look pretty badass to have the carbon fiber look to the box
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
Unless you're gonna make a mold and vacuum bag it, it's gonna look rough. To make it smooth, you'd have to sand the hell out of it after you "glaze" it with your extra resin. The application is a little bit different than doing fiberglass though. When you cut it, it falls apart unless you run some tape over it before you cut it. Fiberglass resin will work, but it's not what you are supposed to use. You are supposed to use epoxy resin and like the carbon fiber, it's not cheap. I think the last time I bought epoxy resin it was $89 a gallon and the hardener wasn't cheap either. It also has to be mixed to the exact ratios. Unlike fiberglass, where if it's cold you can add more hardener, you always have to add exactly the same amount of hardener for carbon fiber. I would do what intensem1rider said and use fiberglass for the structure and one layer of carbon fiber for the final layer. Check out www.carbcom.com for the carbon fiber and a local marina for the West System Epoxy resin, hardener, and ratio pumps. Good Luck.
"Drive it like you stole it"
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
yeah just use the carbon fibre matting with epoxy resin. Fishman makes a number of different colors, i've worked with it and it's a pain but it's possible. Just remember to get the bubble remover.. or it looks like crap
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
My web page has a couple carbon fiber installs in it. DO NOT attempt carbon fiber until you have mastered fiberglass. It is very expensive when you mess up. The best source of materials is US composites. If you need more specific help send me an email. Good luck.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic