icon

Fiberglass the top or my roof

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_mikey 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Alright u know the lining cover on ur roof??

I'm thinking of fiberglassing it and putting to molds i have made in them.. 7" lcd screen molds.. Flush the mold into the roof and then replace the old roof with the fiberglass one..

Easy or hard?

Ideas?

ShayneBishop 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

I would think it would be hard cuz of that damn gravity! lol but i think if u make a good skeleton using mostly mdf but the base to make it fit right and that might be hard. Well if u dont go crazy with the resin and just put enough for it to soak up into the fiberglass(when doing the roof of the car) u should be ok. I'd say go for it. Good luck

I'm to lazy
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, well some other people have asked about this same thing, my question has always been, What holds the panel on? If you have a few screws or bolts that will be holding the roof panel on then you should be fine, if that is the case I would just fiberglass the original panel, that way you know that it fits, it has the holes and the shape already, you just add what you want and spend the majority of the time making your work look pretty.

Matt

PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2003 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
don't forget to throw plastic all over the interior....regardless if you're fabricating inside/outside of the vehicle.
*paw print*
kamikos 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
I may be silly... but why not just remove the whole headliner and do it outside the car?
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Tha t was actually what I had meant for you to do. Take it out, if it is material that will soak up the resin, spread resin over it then add what you want to it, then test fit it and make sure it is positioned how you want, then take it out and fiberglass all of your newly built areas. Then I would clean it up, and make it as smooth as possible and even primer all of the areas, if it is going to be a permanent install you can then put it in and mount it then cover all of the holes with bondo. then just smooth out the filled in spots, but then you will have to paint it in the car.

Matt

~kingpin~ 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
ive done it b4 and the only thing holding thelining cover on the roof is factoru glue and 2 screws at dome light fixture, all we did is make aadditional bracings for the front back and middle of the fg roof as for the lcd screens that you are putting in what location will they be?fore you and the passenger at thethe front of the car or for the peaple in the back maning in the middle of the car cuz if its in the middle of the roof you can use the factory screw holes rom the dome light to scrw the lcd molds in well i hope i gave yah some ideas best of luck on that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic