icon

need help 1991 nissan sentra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blingblingfire 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

im putting in a AUTOSTART as-1200 in a 1991 nissan sentra.

2 problems, I cant seem to isolate the parking light wire (RED / blue) the headlights use the same colour code at the switch. this link    https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1991-93&make=Nissan&model=Sentra&ID=18572&type=Alarm  which has been very usefull shows that the wire can be found "above drivers kick panel. But there is again a couple with the same coour code....any help would be great such as which harness/plug to find/use.

#2 the car has ignition 1 and ignition 2, i installed the ignition wire form the autio start to just ignition 1, the car cranks but wont start...do i just wire the autostarts ignition lead to BOTH wires? agin on the link it says that the ignition 2 is "cold start" does it make a difference...

i know its a lot to ask but if you gusy wouldnt mind that would be great.

k2thz 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
It's not a lot to ask, don't worry about it. But please try using your shift key a little more often... good grammar is a good thing
1) If the car uses the same color wire for both parking and head lamps, but they're separate wires, you can just pull back the insulation and test them. To do this, use an x-acto or similar knife (something small that you can control well) to cut a slit in the insulation around the circumference of the wire. Cut two such slits, about 1/2 inch apart. Then cut a slit along the length of the wire between the two ring-type slits, and remove the chunk of insulation there. You should end up with a bare section of wire with no cuts in the copper itself. You can now clip a multimeter to this, clip the other lead to ground and measure the voltage changing the switch position. If it comes on when you turn on the parking lamps, you've got the right wire. If it comes on in both parking and headlamp modes, you probably need the other one.
Note: don't use a test light - this can cause problems if you have the wrong wire entirely!
You can also look a the size of the wires; the one for the headlights *may* be bigger than the one for the parking lights, since they probably draw more current.
2) Don't hook the 2 ignition lines together - this is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. First, make sure your auto starter doesn't provide an ignition 2 output. If it does, use that, since it probably turns it off - i.e. the "cold start" - during the time when the starter is engaged.
If it doesn't have an ignition 2 output, most auto starters will shut off or "cold start" their accessory lines during remote start. You can use the accessory line to power a relay that feeds 12V from your power feed into the Ignition 2 line. See the relay tutorials elsewhere on this site for info on how to do that.
If you try all this and are still stuck, PM me or zomething... :)
DDR
mazdatruckin 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Nissan's Flag that the car has 2 starter wires?  Read me all the wires coming off the ignition switch and I'll tell ya how to wire this baby up
blingblingfire 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

it has a

Constant 12V-White

Starter-BLACK/ White

Ignition 1-BLACK/ Red

ignition2 -BLACK / YELLOW.

And the remote starter only has 1 ignition lead,im wondering if thats why it cranks and doesnt start,could it bethe tach wire, i tappd into the GREEN/ YELLOW at the coil....shouldnt be..lemem know anything you think.

mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

There'sonly 4 wires coming off the key cylinder? That's odd. Here's what techsoft has, two starters, and accessory, and igntion. A cold start wire for nissan use to be a starter wire... Did you test these wires with a multimeter?

12V Constant   WHT (+)

Starter BLK/WHT (+)

STARTER BLK/YEL (+)

IGNITION BLK/RED (+)

ACCESSORY  WHT/BLU (+)

THis is what I have. Let me know if you tried metering them.

mazdatruckin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yea after looking at 3 diff sheets, it seems the BLACK / YELLOW is a starter wire.... at least i would say.. Nissan's trademark is having the cold start cranking wire... put your meter (+) side to the blk yellow wire and the other to ground, see when that wire gets voltage, if only during cranking, then it a starter wire. All the luck to you!
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried what mazdatruckin says? I've looked at 3 different wiring diagrams, but they're a little different, so you're going to have to test the wires to double check everything. They say there's only 1 starter, but that may be wrong.
As for the parking and headlights, I show the following:
Parking Lights: RED / Blue(+) at the headlight switch or driver kick panel
Headlights: BLACK/ red (driver) and RED / green (pass)(hi) at the light switch (+)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic