icon

Question about older PPI amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cabrone 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I have an older PPI amp but unfortunately I don’t know the model number of it. It measures approximately 7.5 inches square and is black with red lettering that reads Precision Power 2 X 50 Watts. There is a portion of the lettering that appears to be worn off and I assume this is where it used to read the model number. There is a sticker on the bottom that has the serial number and then a space for the model number but this space is blank. On one end are the power, ground, remote turn on and speaker connections, as well as a 20-amp fuse. On the other end are the RCA input connections and a set of RCA output connections. There are also two buttons that control the built in crossover. One for on and off and the other for high or low pass. There is also a jumper block to set the crossover frequency.
Now for my question: I’ve had this amp powering a set Kicker Resolution 6.5 components up front for several months now and it’s worked beautifully. That is until the other night when I lost all sound from the Kickers. Now I notice that the red power LED which is normally on constantly when the amp is powered up is now blinking whenever the amp is on. Not having any literature on this amp nor even knowing the model number I have no idea what to make of this. The PPI website appears to have no tech support whatsoever.
Can anybody identify this amp for me? Better yet, does anybody have any idea what this blinking LED means?
Thank you in advance,
Craig
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the amp is an old PPI 2050. Does it have the heat sink on the top with a bunk of small fins on both the top and bottom. If it does that amp is probably from the late 80's. As far as the blinking LED, have you checked all your connections including making sure that the fuse is securely pushed in. Check for sure that your remote wire is getting proper voltage. I know on the Power Class amps that if the red LED comes on it is a protection circuit called central muting. If it turns red on mine I have to make sure I am getting at least 8 volts or more thru the remote wire to reset it. Caused by overload. What impedance level do you have it running at? Just a few things to think about, but is a great amp. Don't think it has a regulated power supply so is like the Phoenix Gold amps were at one time. More voltage you put to that baby, the more it will put out. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents worth.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
disconect the power for a min, then re-connect it, see if it resets.
cabrone 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the responses guys. I have tried removing power for awhile to reset the amp but I still get the same thing. I'm going to check the remote turn on voltage now....
cabrone 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm getting 12.7 volts at the remote turn on lead.
Damn, back to the drawing board..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic