icon

Tap into heavy gauge wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
84celica 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

I need to tap into the ignition wires and need to know the best way to do this. The wires are rather big and the regular wire taps seem like they will be too small or cut the wire in half if I try using them.

I also noticed that the alarm says to use a relay if the car uses a high current ignition or over 30 amp ignition systems. How do I know if I need to use a relay or if I can just wire it right up. I have a 1984 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback.

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff
dan768 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hey bub, if you strip a small section of insulation away,poke a hole through the wire,insert alarm ign. input and twist, then rap in electrical tape and last but not least, zip-tie it.
dan
Remember (there are no hard cars,some just take longer to install on then others)
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

Really I would like to do something a little cleaner and les likely to cause a problem in the long run. If I were going to solder the wires and wrap with heatshrink, this might be the way to go but because I can't get heatshring over the joint, I don't want to solder them.

Has anyone used the T-Tap wire Taps to do this???

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
super 33 3m awesome tape no need for heat tubing wrap tightly around the solder joint then finish losely around the joint its forever believe me i have never had a problem and it is recomended by almost any alarm manufacturer. t taps suck dont use them they are not good at all believe me there will be problems down the road with t taps. all they do is cut the wire and slip and then they are like a  damn  merry go round they end up spinning on the wire. no good not recomended by any manufacturer. if you want an installation to be proud of an one that will last the life of that car use solder and 3m super33 tape it is expensive tape but it is the best.
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

3M SUPER33 TAPE?

Where can I get some of this stuff?

Jeff

Jeff
speekafreak 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Almost any auto parts or home improvement store carry it. Just make sure it says Super 33+. It costs about $3.00 per roll, but it is well worth it. I agree those connectors suck. Solder and tape it with 33+ and you won't have to worry about it again.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

get it at a home depot if you have one around you. at least at home depot they give you a bigger roll than auto parts stores. you will pay about 3.50 for the roll,and while your at the depot get some tartan tape as well this is cheap and great for wrapping wires to clean up the install job. tartan is also made by 3m. you will want to have both these tapes in your tool box at all times, super33 for the conections and tartan to clean up the job. stay away from frost king tape as it unravels in no time at all especially in a high heat environment. if you do all this you will be staright and have a great job in the endTap into heavy gauge wires? -- posted image.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

Hey 84celica,

Like mobiletoys2002 said earlier : STAY AWAY FROM T-TAPS !   Always solder and tape your connections.   Also you said   I also noticed that the alarm says to use a relay if the car uses a high current ignition or over 30 amp ignition systems.  Are they talking about an ignition kill?  In that case a relay is usually supplied with the alarm.  Is it a remote starter?  Then again most on the market can handle 30 AMPS.  Besides I have yet to see a car that draws 30 AMPS on the ignition circuit.  Tap into heavy gauge wires? -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
84celica 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I'll hold off on installing the remote start function until I can get some tape and more time to figure out where to tap in for the tach wire. I found the ignition module but do not know what wire to tap off of. My alarm comes with Tach Finder Technology but I don't want to randomly tap into wires to find a valid tach soarce.

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
your wire is black at the igniter or at the tach itself in the car check with a meter to be sure but it is supossed to be black at what you are showing.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic