icon

blacklight power source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morepowerbaby 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

ok, i have two 9" thin line black lights, one under each side of the dashboard.  i currently have them plugged into the cigarette lighter, and i'm ready to wire them in permanently with a switch.  what i want to know is where is the best place to connect the wires?  can i just use the wires going to the cigarette lighter, or do i have to go to the battery, or what?

Bad Ass Girlz Drive Bad Ass Toyz.

shaggy12volt 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

**For Permanent Installation

1) Install in desired location with screws provided.
2) Cut off cigarette lighter adapter.
3) Connect (+) white wire to a switch.
4) Connect (-) black wire to ground.
5) Connect a constant 12V power source to switch.
6) Make sure all connections are properly soldered & insulated with electrical tape. 7) Enjoy!  

shaggy12volt 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you need anything else just ask.blacklight power source -- posted image.
The Shagmaster
1999 Chevy Suburban 15" lift sittn on 22's sets 7'5"
1992 Chevy Astro Van all Bagged out Dubbed THE SUICIDER
Installing for over 18 years Looking for empolyment NOW send PM for resum
morepowerbaby 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

thanks, but i still have a few questions.

what is the constant 12v power source that I'm supposed to connect to the switch?

my wires aren't white and black.  if i'm correct, with one with the stripe is (+) and the one without is (-)?

Bad Ass Girlz Drive Bad Ass Toyz

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
yes the one with the stripe is positive. you can coonect it pretty much anywhere maybe the ignition switch. but to tell you the truth what i do is connect it to the parking light switch in the car and have them turn on with it. and from there you could always add a switch that you can shut them off  whenever you want. neons dont draw much current the parking ligh twire is usually real good be cause it is nice to have the neons come on at nght your parking lights will be on so why not. these are drawing barely anything i have had 3 sets of those off parking lights without a problem..now you only have one pair thats nothing .
TonsOFunCustoms 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  
i always had them hooked up (when i first started installing) to the horn or the brake lights... its a good constant power... i never liked the idea of having to turn on other stuff... but thats just me... just make sure you have a fuse going to it... if ya patch into the fuse panel ya dont have to worry... go to radioshack and get a fuse tapper... theyre neato
Tons O Fun Customs
Relax! We're professionals...
Owner/Installer
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
find a constant (battery) +12VDC feed in the car behind the dash, or run a fused one from the battery.
connect this wire to one terminal of an on/off switch.
connect the other terminal of the switch to the black lights' striped wire. connect the solid black wire of teh lights to a chassis ground.
all done.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2002 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question about neon lights.  My friend has a set of them that run off the cigarette lighter and he wants to put a switch.  His wires are clear and none has a stripe.  How do we know which one is pos. and neg.  One wire has copper wire inside and one has silver wire inside.  Also should I install a relay in there to be safe? Thanks!!
"Light travels faster then sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak."
hot_shot_guy123
Samantha 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2002 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
If you pull apart the plug that went into the cigerette lighter, you should be able to tell which one is the positive and which one is the negative, the positive should be joined to the centre peice and the ground to the outside.
Sam
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2002 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
btw....in my experience of working with wire pairs, the gold is usually (+) and the silver is usually (-)...but it may be different, depending on manufacturer....always good to make sure with a mulitmeter...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic