icon

Want to add illuminated entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Agdodge4x4 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Wow...a schematic would be great!  I will get that part!!
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a fine looking schematic....i see exactly what to do.  However, that is a relay on the bottom, correct?  Is that something i am going to need to purchase or what?  Sorry...im kinda unfamiliar with any extras i might need.  Thanks again for your help!
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
oh dam.....OK, i just now reread your post with the schematic.  That relay is the one under the dash that works the locks.  I don't know if its a 451m, but there is a relay there, because i felt it yesterday to make sure it was also clicking when you disarmed the vehicle.
NSGrimace 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
The relay in the schematic is actually an extra one needed to shut the domelight of when you turn on your ignition. It is a standard SPDT automotive relay. You can usually pick these up in an auto parts store for a few bucks. The relay you already have under the dash would be the lock wire relay and is probably the 451m.
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

OK,

So i just need to pick up that extra relay and hook it to the yellow wire on the 528t.  The 12v ignition and the grounds i can just tap into off of the alarm box right??  That way it is an easy hookup.

Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
And nothing needs to be done with the 451m relay right?  I ought to be able to just splice into any of the needed wires, directly off of the alarm box.  That would be best cause there is ample room and i can keep everything together.
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Your best bet to access the wiring is going to be at the ignition harness. You will find a group of heavy guage (12 guage or so) wires leading down from the column. Use the red or pink/black wire for your +12v, and the dark blue for you +Ign. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then the appropriate connections in the fuse box will suffice.
**VERY IMPPORTANT** Fuse these wires close to the connection to protect the circuit.
you can tap into the unlock wire at the brain without a problem.
There is plenty of metal in the underdash which will give you a good ground. just use a circular crimp on connector to attach to the metal. use a star washer in between if you have one.
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Well,

See when they installed my other alarm, just from looking at it, the 12v and the ignition wires already have heavy gauge and fuses in them.  I dont want to tap the same wire twice if i dont have to. I figured it would be OK since the wire to the ignition harness from the alarm brain is pretty short, and a heavy gauge, so i figured it would be OK, just to tap on into that one.  The reason i was asking if this is OK is because these wires have some gaps in them that are not taped up and provide easy access.  The harness itself is all sealed up with tape and it would be quite a pain to get to.  Plus, i wont have to add ANOTHER fuse, because the wire from teh brain is already fused. 

Comments???

Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

I want my dome light, tail, parking, and maybe fog lights to come on and remain lighted.  These i was also hoping to get at from the brain wires.

NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
there is no problem tapping into these wires that have already accessed the ign and 12v, just make sure the existing fuses are between the tap location and the ign harness. Sounds good!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic