icon

alarm aholic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alarmaholic 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
      • alarm aholic -- posted image.    HI !   12   VOLTS    BAY    FRIENDS.   IN    MEXICO    WE   GOT    A    SERIOUS   PROBLEM:   CARS    ARE    STOLEN     EVEN     WITH    A    STEERING     WHEEL   LOCK,    EVEN    WITH   A    WELL    INSTALLED     SECURITY    SYSTEM.   MY     NEIGHBORS     AND    I     HAVE    HAD     VERY    BAD   EXPERIENCES     WITH    CARS    THIEVES.     OWN    VEHICLES    HAD    GOOD    ALARMS    LIKE    CLIFFORD,    VIPER,     AND     HORNET,    BUT    THEY    CANNOT    STOP    CARS     THEFT.    SO,    WHAT     SHOULD     WE     DO  ?    PLEASE,    HELP    US     TO     STOP     THIS !      THANKS !
your trusty friend alarmaholic
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
well even with the best top notch alarms we will always have a particualr problem .If the siren was cut and at the same time if the starter was jumped from under the hood regardless of where we put the satrter kill inside the vehicle it will be bypassed.Thats our main problem well the best thing to do is layers of security to make it that much harder to steal. if we add certain parts of the car to kill i believe that the car can be verry hard to steal. multiple starter kills in different areas maybe even a starter kill in the engine bay because a thief will think that by jumping a starter wire from outside will bypass the kill indside (the most coommon place)they are. See i think that over time insatllers have done the same thing and thiefs catch on that is why you have to be different. A crook wants your car he looks under the dash and sees a brain come on we all know we have seen that before .That will not fool anyone but if we change the way we think the thief thiefs will not  know what to expect..A sterring lock is nothing more than a sterring wheel ornament it does nothing,but i do like the auto lock that is actually verry good. BASICALLY IT COMES DOWN TO IMAGINATION AND A GREAT INSTALL AND WITH THIS I BELIEVE A LOT OF THEFT WOULD BE MADE MUCH HARDER . Also some of the most simpest of things the robber will overlook even if it seems he wont lik e putting a added kill right in front of his face or mimicking an already known flaw of many installers (the starter kill in front of the ignition) oh please that makes it real hard to steal,instead put a relay there maybe the one for domeliht supervision put it right next to the ignition he'll think its like many installers favorite place for  a starter kill. Basically you use your imagination it helps, and also an alarm is only as good as the install and placement of the components.
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2002 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
use an electronic hood lock. this prevents access to the battery and siren as well as the engine
use a battery backed up siren. this prevents disabling the alarm BCM
disable the fuel pump with a hidden switch. This will cause the car to be towed if they want it that badly.
use an alarm with a 2-way FM transceiver. This will alert you to any tampering with the vehicle as it happens. Then go shoot the basta... er I mean call the police.
If the vehicle is 4WD, put the 4WD in neutral. most people have no idea about this, and it will disable the transmission in the car unless they figure it out.
impact sensor for body impact
motion sensor for jacking up (wheels) or towing
glass breakage mic for windows (impact is useless for this if they use a center punch or crushed ceramic from a spark plug)
hood and trunk pins in case of entry through the trunk
park in well-lighted, populated areas when possible. Alarms don't scare people away. They attract attention so as to deter someone being watched.
If all else fails, get a house with a garage, and a really really big, mean dog.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2002 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
That reminds me, it occured to me recently that most people with a garage, who keep their cars in one, don't arm their alarms when they are "inside"
This is foolish, since it leaves your car wide open for anyone who cares to jimmy the door to your garage at 3am.
Just a note. heh If you have a garage and keep your car in it... arm your alarm anyway.
-GlassWolf
da0acer0 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
i lived in mexico way back in the day when i was 7 years old....i think during the time we lived there we had 3 cars stolen from us and 5 broken into (lucky they were company cars)
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
move.
-GlassWolf
omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2002 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

If someone REALLY wants to steal a car, they can find a way no matter what kind of security you have.   Meaning that the best theives can outsmart even the best security systems and installs.

Someone once told me that having a security system well installed and well planned buys time; and, that buying time is what you are really trying to accomplish if you are trying to prevent your car from being stolen from one of those "good" theives. 

-Alarms with normally open starter kill and placing the starter kill relay (or multiple starter kill relays) completely away from the ignition switch is a start.  Also connecting fuel pump and fuel injector kills to a normally open starter kill circuit is a good idea.  Normally open starter kills usually DON'T close to enable the relay when the power is cut to the alarm, and that is the advantage.  Of course they can start the car at the starter as mentioned, but if they attempt to start it from the inside they waste time.  Plus if the injectors and fuel pump are disabled they aren't going anywhere until they find out what is going on.

-Many cars have "transponder" systems or systems like GM's PASSLOCK or PASSKEY systems.  While these can be disabled they take time to do and that is something else that again buys time.  Getting a vehicle that cuts the fuel supply via the PCM if the key isn't used is another step towards "time buying".

-Disabling fuel, ignition and computer systems in modern cars pretty much renders them undriveable until the theif can supply power to them, so if you can figure out practical ways to disable them (as mentioned above) then you're one step ahead.  You could always take out those fuses but then the theif could use other fuses if he figures it out, so you'd have to take all of them--not very convenient.  Still a dumb theif might never figure out why the car cranks but won't stay running.  It doesn't prevent them from towing it away but it does prevent the driveaway theif.

-Similarly a steering wheel lock or multiple steering wheel locks will also delay the theft.  As someone said they may be "ornaments" in the opinion of some but still require some time (even if only seconds) to cut.

-Battery back-up for the alarm module (hidden from view and not obvious) as well as battery back up siren(s) are a good idea.  As well, hide the module and wiring WELL.

-Multiple interior pain generators (mini sirens) will also deter theft and may also deafen the theft or drive them from the car.  Of course they could wear earplugs but I'm sure many don't--at least not on the first attempt to steal a car.

-Make sure all entry points are protected by the alarm and add appropriate sensors as mentioned above to prevent jacking/towing without the alarm going off.  Proximity/Microwave sensors--another good idea.  There are even sensors these days that alert the alarm if a nut is removed from a wheel.  (The sensor is in the wheel lug and is wireless.)

-Hood locks and trunk locks can also be added although most likely costly. 

-FM Paging is a must.  Buying all the time in the world for you to get to your car but if you don't know it is being broken into the theif then has all the time in the world anyhow.

These are just a few ideas and although they can always be bypassed by theives it is the time it takes to bypass them and the difficulty for the theif.  The more time it takes, the more time you have to get to your car to scare off the theif.  The more difficult it is, the more likely the thief will not complete the job.

DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

alarm aholic -- posted image. Hey first off, I just wanted to say, AWESOME FORUM and SITE!!

As to how to prevent the thieving of cars and such.....Well, do what I did.  Befriend a thief or two and have them tell you the tricks of their trade.  I know it sounds like I am sleeping with the enemy so to speak, but as much as I hate to admit it, I have learned a few things.  Best words of advice I can give are:

1) Don't do the same install twice.  Meaning, always change the location of the brain, relays, etc.  Make it a guessing game for the thief.

2) As someone said earlier (too lazy to scroll up and see, sorry bub), invest in fuel shut off switches, put in mulitiple starter kills, make it a challenge.  Hell if you really wanna have fun with them, hook the alarm up to a totally seperate battery, one that has no function to the rest of the car.

3) I don't know the laws in Mexico so look 'em up.  You might be lucky compared to us states guys.  You might be able to hook electric shock up to the door handles. hehehealarm aholic -- posted image..  Now it should be stated, it is ILLEGAL to do that in the USA.  Although other countries allow it.  ( I think we should write our congressmen guys and gals)

Also, you might wanna check out a company called autobolt.  Basically deadbolts for your car.  Good way to secure all points of entry (except windows. but hey that's what Lexan's for!)

Like I said, best way to defeat and compete with a thief.  Learn their mentallity and think like them.  Remember, not only is our job to make killer sound systems, but it's also out job to make a Car Thief's life and job a living nightmare. 

P.S.  for a lil more fun, hook up a smoke bomb to the alarm.  JUST KIDDING!!!

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
like I said, my 9mm does a real good job of detering people. Worked like a champ once when this kid tried to break into my boss's Toyota 4X4. He had 4 Orion 15" subs in the back, with a cap on the bed.. lifted up on 44" tires. Parked it right outside his bedroom.. heard a noise one night, peeked out and saw a kid in the back trying to jack the subs.
When the kid noted the laser sight point on his chest, he stopped moving.. right till the cops arrived.
smart kid.
*g*
yeah the other purpose an alarm serves, is to attract attention, which theives dislike when they are being delayed by all of our other tricks... this gives time for people to recognize them. Ideal in populated areas such as parking lots, where many braek-ins take place. (smash & grabs)
autotoys.com has an electronic hood bolt (really nice one) for about $65 if I recall.
Not too bad for such a handy add-on.
They also sell battery backup sirens that require a key to turn them off once they have been tripped.
Combined, these two devices are a big, big help.
-GlassWolf
onepeon 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2002 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

here is a cut and paste from a post I wrote on a MR2 board about theft. Cheap easy tricks I thought of.

David

-the new guy

1 tip: Disconnect the hood lever then wrap it up with black tape so it looks like another wire and hide it. When you need to open your hood just pull on the cable with your hands. Prevents a Battery attack.

2 tip: Disconnect the driver side lock linkage. Your going to have
keyless entry anyways and if your battery dies or alarms acts up, just use the key on the passenger side. Prevents Slim-Jim's on driver door, and the common screwdriver under the door handle attack. Also Cuts %50 off break-ins because you only have 2 doors. Most break-ins happen on driver side door.
3 tip: When installing a Alarm NEVER use the valet switch, just wrap the valet switch around the brain.. if they found the brain they don't need the valet switch anyways. I install my alarms in Active re-arm mode, not a in passive which I hate because its such a pain in the ass when your working on your car or pumping gas.
Active re-arming means the alarm doesn't turn on itself but WILL turn back on if you dis-arm your car but DON'T open a door in 30 secs. Its for the times you accidentally hit your alarm button in your house.
4: tip: For the MR2 when installing a alarm I think the best place to put the "Brain" in a MR2 mkII turbo is above the Front air vents behind the radio, then wrap the wires in loom and run them down and thru the dash... when a car thief looks under the steering wheel to rip wires out he won't see anything but the big air vent under your kness
5: For the MR2 the hard part was placement of the siren, I run the wire on the back side of the fender after removing the weather guard in the fenderwell and then placed the siren behind the front bumper (where "The Beast" has the brake ducts) Sounds like a pain in the ass to due, but Most car thives just cut the siren wire and that shuts it up. Most shops just puts the siren in plain view under the hood or engine lid. "Where is your siren??" They just open the door, pull the hood and rip the siren out, 10 secs tops.
6: Dis-connect the truck lock linkage, I have power truck release so I just use that. Prevents truck break-ins. I have 94+ lights so I shaved both my revs lights and lock for a smoove look and saved over $120 on the lock and rev lights. I just use $20 side marker lights under my veilside bumper for rev lights.
7: A lot of times thives use this method of break-ins called Pop-in the glass out, done on the driver side mostly. Its when they stick a screw driver on top of your glass and just pry your glass out far enough to stick their hand or slim-jim in your car and hit the power lock button or lock lever over. The Glass on your car is very strong and will not break, its very easy to do on a T-Top and MR2's because we don't have a frame on top of the glass on the door. To Prevent this disconnect the lock lever on the driver side handle and wire a Relay with the starter output to shut off the power door lock switch when the alarm is armed. Test the wire that is the neg pulse given out at the switch, this is a pain in the ass to due, but this break in method is VERY common. Anyone who has locked themselves out and used a hanger to open the door knows how much the glass can flex out of the door, and most people are scared of pulling on the glass as much because its their car... car thives don't care if the glass breaks.
8: Don't EVER use those stupid Blue LED Scanners... I think the red ones are fine, but for some reason the color blue atracts thives.
9: Get a Mircowave (area motion sensor) sensor, its worth the money
10: I use the Millenium FX pager from Crimestopper... $80-90 bucks range is great on this thing and it looks like a normal small pager. Best 80$ bucks i spent on the alarm
11: Install Glass Break Sensors... its a small mic that listens for the sound of broken glass... cost about 20-30 bucks.... alot of times car thives use "moon rock" to break your window ( all it is the white part of a spark plug broken into little rocks ) Anyone how have seen this thing work, knows what I mean. The glass just breaks without ANY Noise the glass even stays in place until he moves it. Or sometimes they use a metal punch and press hard onto the glass, since the glass is tempered the glass doesn't break but it cracks all up into little blocks. No noise can me heard and your standard Shock Sensor WILL NOT pick it up.
12: Make sure you have the hood pin switch and Engine lid switch installed, most shops just ignores them. Don't forget your truck pin switch.
13: Hide ALL Wires with Black Tape!! If you stick your head under your steering wheel and you see your alarm or any of its wires your should re-do your alarm.
14: Get a back-up battery installed $30 bucks max, or use a cheap 12 volt camcorder lead battery from radio shack $10 bucks if its on sale.
15: Dis-Connect your engine lid lever if you want to prevent engine parts being stolen. Just pull on the bike cable yourself if you want to open your lid.
Well I know I have more Ideas but this is about it.... These Tips will Only Help your car from being stolen but you know what they say.....
"If a theif really wants your car, they will get it" you just don't have to make it easy for him
Be smart about where you park, these tips are some questions you can ask your alarm installer to do when getting it done at a local shop.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic