icon

RPM check type ? Help Please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Illuminatrix 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so I had a bunch of problems already but have solved them.  A few questions about this wire

First manual says should register 6 volts or so mine registers 14 volts.  When I rev up volts go down.  Is this correct ??? does it sound like I have the right wire ???

What are the benifits of this opossed to timer checking ???

Thanks folks

Cheers

Travis

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Tach should read between 1 and 6 volts AC. Yes, AC!
You can grab a unique colored wire at an injector if there is one available. There are 2 wires at each injector, so look at 2 injectors and one wire at each should be the same. Grab either one of the wires that are NOT the same.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Illuminatrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

If I do this is it better the volt or timer check mode ???

Cheers

Travis

Illuminatrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Which mode is best for an auto start

Auto Page 650 on a 1999 Hyundai Accent

GottaBNeat 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
A tach wire connected will ensure a smooth start and is always better. Especially since, on a hyundai, the tach wire is easily accesible. Only on cars where you can't find a tach would I go with another option. I also don't know where you live, but as the weather gets colder it will take longer to start and a tach wire ensures a smooth start the first time it activated. Just my opinion tho.
Illuminatrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so my meter has 500 or 200mv in AC mode and is reading in the 30's is this correct assuming this is the right tach wire.

It decreases when I rev the engine

Illuminatrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone in here help with the above reply.  I have connected this wire and my starter still overruns and grinds.  I am using voltage sensing but prefer not to sinece these wires are easily accessible.

Thanks

Travis

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Bad news is that that model starter still uses a timer even when in tach mode. The tach wire is only used to check to see if the engine is running and it also monitors the RPM's for over rev protection. Actually, the voltage checking mode has worked better for me since it acts wierd in Tach mode. I have seen it shut off randomly when in tach mode and then restart. It is actually a very annoying situation and I am ready to install a different unit. other than that, I am pretty happy with the unit.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Illuminatrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I can accept this

So what you are saying is stick with voltage sensing and increase the timer in the winter or do I use tach sensing and increase the timer in the winter.  I am in Canada so it get well below zero up here.

Cheers

Travis

jrilla 
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
OK so I read mymanual again, and I was not entirely accurate in what I said. The Tach checking mode claims to be able to program the RPMs and if the engine over cranks or under cranks you can switch between low check level and High check level. But I never noticed a difference between the 2. I dont have any more units on the shelf, so I cant test one, but it still starts the car like it is on a timer if you ask me. So you may want to try thr tach mode and see if switching between the low and high check levels. Or if that doesnt work, then go with voltage checking and change the timing depending on the season.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic