icon

parking light output (+)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
babysho 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Any certified installer'ut there I really need some help please I'm would like to install my parking light output wire(+) to my headlights instead. I was told that I need a bigger relay to support the headlight amp. Since the internal module relay will only support 10-15 amp. I was told it could be done but no one has told me how to wire up the relay. Only one person but I want to make sure it correct. I have a ford taurus se my headlight wire are RED / yellow(+)
He said I should wire it up like so:
85 to (+)parking light output
86 to ground
87 connected to vehicle headlights
30 to 12v constant fused
does any one have a Proffesional opinion
ar
AutoObsessions 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds right to me.
bear80 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
check out  relayapps.com there is a diagram for what you are looking for
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
That would be the right way to wire it up. Just hope your alarm doesn't get set off too much, because having the headlights flashing all the time instead of the parking lights could take a toll on the battery a lot faster. Your alarm won't be much good if your car has a dead battery..Ok ok so that is a little extreme but to be short yeah you should be fine with that wiring above. Good luck,
Mike
babysho 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Kool thanks mike!!
ar
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

what kind of vehicle?  does it have composite headlights??  (the ones with replaceable bulbs, not sealed beam units)?  If so, halogen bulbs of this type are NOT designed to be rapidly turned on and off.  Doing this will dramatically shorten the bulbs lifespan...

b

babysho 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
99 ford taurus se.
ar
babysho 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hooked up the relay to the headlights worked like a charm!! thanks! but I notice that the rear taillight don't work with the headlights do you think its possible to hook up the taillights to the relays as well? how about the parking lights with the headlights? I think the relay could support extra draw. I figured the headlight are 55watts that would interpit to be about 8.8 amps for two headlight now the parking light are about what 15 amp max. so a total of 23.8 amps and Im using a bosch 20/30 relay I think it could take it what so you think? I need some input!!
ar
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
The relay could support the extra draw the problem is that you need to keep your parking lights and headlights isolated from each other. The best way would be to use 2 relays off of the park light output on the module. You could use diodes but I wouldn't use them on a high amperage setup. Basically you'd split your + parking light output from the module and run it to pins 85 on both relays..Then ground pins 86 on both relays..Run 12v fused to pins 30 on both relays..Then 87 on one relay goes to your headlight wire, and 87 on the other goes to your parking light wire..Ohhh and when you decide to hookup your high beams also, just add another relay...
babysho 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
oh I see what you mean. Should I use a heaver relay I'm not sure I have a 30/40 and a 20/30 which one should I use? I'm going to hook it up today thanks!(lol)no mike I think the parking light are fine I won't use my high beams. oh Thanks for the relay wiring! I'll let you know how it turns out.
ar
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic