icon

which amp should i get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
ummm, i don;t trust the internet really, i would rather spend spend the extra money, and get my 2 year warrenty, in case anything happens, bberman1, so you tink that would be my best choice out of all those amps, that amp i think would cost me about 1300 or so canadian, and the memphis is 900
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

For those of us in Canada, the warranty ends at the border, so the internet is not a great sales area for us. Where in Canada are you? Do you already have this sub, nice sub btw. I have worked on numerous neons that have won multiple awards for sq and spl. Which one of these are you heading towards? For an amplifier there are many really good brands out there, it's just hard to get an unbiased opinion from a commission sales person. If you choose this sub, the worst thing in the world that you can do is drastically under power it, you'll be in for warranty on it in no time flat. If you want it loud and your amp is too small, then you will cause the amplifier to run out of power, clip and produce distortion that your sub will say, ok if you want me to play distortion that's great. The heat buildup from the resultion distortion will definitely damage the voice coil.

So, look for an amp that has alot of headroom and is high current. Generally speaking the high current amplifiers are American designed and built vs offshore built. As much as you don't like Rockford, they do build some good amps, but I do agree with you that they don't sound or build them like they used to. You need an amplifier that (if u use this sub) produces a huge amount of power at either 1ohm or 4 ohm mono.

If you plan on running this monster for a period of time be well aware that an amp can't make power unless it gets power and the neons have a tiny little alternator. See my post to the dude that was asking about 2 dvc subs wired in series parallel about some wiring concerns for amps. If you wan't any more information, like I said in the earlier post to the other fellow, ask questions, as many as possible, if you are not getting the proper information or you just need to check it, there are lots of great guys on these forums to help you out. Hope this points you in the right direction. The right amp for you will have to fit in your price range, be very efficient (class d as you have a tiny little alternator), be wired properly and do what you need it to.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
i live win windsor ontaior, across form detroit, i can spend up to about 1800 bucks on an amp, buti heard the mem phis amps are amazing, but i would like do get the audiobahn because it;s 1800 rms, and the memphis is around 1400, i may get an alternator, but not sure if im going ot need, i have a 90 amp in there now, i know everyione on here seems to think you need an alternator no what matter what kind of subs you hae in a car, so i will wait and see ifi really need one, i have a yellow top and a cap, so that should do for now, so would you tinkii should get the audio bahn 1800D, the memphis mc-1000d, or should i save the money and get the ac2300HCT, which is there biggest amp, the high current one ast 2400 RMS, but i here iw ouold have to get a whole new electrical system if i got that amp, did i here right?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Not to confuse the issue but look up Orion and have a look at their big, nasty class D amplifer. American built, more power, more current, a little pricy but probably the last amp you'll ever buy. If you are stuck on wattage ratings between 1400 and 1800 watts, first make sure the wattage is measured exactly the same way. Both at 12v or 14.4v, at 20-20000hz or both at 1khz, both into the same loads etc. Then please realize that you must double the amplifier power in order to get a 3db increase in output, the difference as you mentioned it is marginal at best. Now the only way that any amp is going to consume the big nasty amount of current that the fuses are rated for is under extreme conditions (read permanent hearing damage) In most cases your amp will be idling away and run great. The cap and Optima will definitely help, as would a second Optima, as long as you have a multi battery isolator in use. You don't want to make that alternator charge 2 batteries all of the time, it'll burn out in no time flat. Btw the sq system we did in a 98 neon hit 149.9 db with a stock alternator and 2 Optima yellow tops. Pay really close attention to your wiring, like an algebra equation, what you do to one side you must do to the other.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Im not shure about the impedence of that sub, but if it's able to be wired at 2 ohm, i would also look at the MRD-M1000.  Alpines accu-class D amps are the most efficient in the industry right now.  It never pulls more than 60 amps to produce the 1800watts peak, don't ask me how alpine did it, but they did it!

before you go buying a amp, find out what amp puts out the most power at the impedance you are able to wire too.  So what if a amp puts out 2000 watts, it may only be at 1 ohm, but if you only have a 2 ohm sub, then you end up with a 1000 watt amp.  See what im saying?

But as for an alt, when you get into that power range, you will definately not get the performace from the amp that its capable of, because everytime it hits, your voltage will drop to about 12v, so your getting approx half the power of the amps output right there, you may as whell just get a smaller amp.   So definately get a upgraded alt, it will keep the voltage up, keep the amp running cooler, thus meaning happy'er amp, more push of power to the amp resulting in more BOOM, which is what your looking for right? haha duh of course.

premieravp 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
For the money you are talking, look at Zapco and Audison. I sell them both down in Texas. The Audison is unsurpassed in sound quality AND power. The Zapco is right there behind Audison on sound quality and makes LOADS of power. The C2K9.0 makes 2200w RMS at either 4 or 2 Ohms. There are smaller versions though. The Audiobahn AWT15 is nice. By you saying AWT15X I'm quessing you've had that speaker for a while? It is a 2001 model part number you listed. Email me with any questions premieravp@aol.com
forbidden 
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm at the shop finally and have a little more resources available to me now, like adsl thank god. The sub you have is a dual 2 ohm sub, parallel wire it to 1 ohm mono. The Orion 2500d I mentioned earlier to you, www.orioncaraudio.com will show you some particulars on it. It is designed and engineered to run all day at 1 ohm mono, produces 2500 watts rms of power at 13.8v dc. It is available through Automobility Distribution in Canada, call them at 514-745-8030 to find a local dealer or contact myself for further info. This amp has a retail of about $2200.00 cdn and is probably one of the finer amp's on the market today, but like BMW, you just don't find dealers everywhere, unlike you will with chevy and (insert brand of car stereo here). There is very few times that this amplifier or any amplifier will draw the continuous amount of current that the fuses are rated for, in most cases the amplifier, with you playing it pretty hard will just idle away, doing a really good job of producing current. Amplifiers make amp's, wattage make light bulbs glow. In most cases the American built amps (Rockford - Kicker - Planet Audio - Soundstream -Phoenix Gold - Orion - Precision Power - Eclipse .....) all build really high current  amplifiers that in most cases,embarrass the offshore (yet cheaper) amplifiers from Korea, Tiawan, Singapore, Japan etc. These amplifiers made here are also of good quality, they just don't quite have the balls as compared to the big guys. And yes I have also seen my share of garbage American built amps as well.
forbidden 
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Btw my 2003 Audiobahn book shows the AWT15X as a 2003 model, maybe Canada gets all the left over American stuff that they couldn't sell down there. Nonetheless a good choice.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
i don't think there is even a newer model of that sub anyways, it came form california, thats where they ordered it form, if there 2200 bucks for the orion, i think i would prefer a memphis mojo amp, rated at 2400 RMS, but they have been tested and ran continiously at 4800 RMS, although that would blow my sub up, i actually found one of those orion amps when i was looking around in detroit, it was 1600 american, so thats about 2200 or so,it was reallly big, silver, and said 5000 watts
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic