icon

Converting car system to Home system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DuneTime 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Here's an ineresting situation for all you enthusiasts...

I've recently been through an unfortunate experience with my car, so what I would like to do is take my amp and subs out of my car and transplant them into my house.  I run 2 JL 10" W0s powered by a Rockford Fosgate 350s amp.

I have sort of a basic view of how I would like it to run..let me explain...    I think what I might do is purchase the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card for my computer ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=14&product=9115), and hook up my amp to that with RCAs.  The only part about this operation that I do not understand is how to power the amp.  What I would like to do is use the 110v power outlets in my house to power the amp.  How can I convert the amp's power cable into that 2-pronged plug?  Would I need an AC/DC converter? a power inverter?     My house has outdated wiring and is not supplied with a ground in the outlets. Maybe I could update the wiring on the circuit that my outlets are on so I wouldn't need a ground cable running to the amp? I think this would be an awesome project to get going.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks,

DuneTime@cableone.net

ToddNaz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, you can go to Radio Shack, Wal Mart, etc and get a AC to DC converter. If needed, you can also get a plug converter or multi plug converter that has a ground that will plug into your older wall sockets.

Pretty simple actually. Just run your L & R channel out of your sound card's pre-outs into your amp and see if you can make it sound good. Remember that car stereo stuff doesn't really sound that good out of your car in a big open space like a room.

phill_b 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Dune

What about a car battery charger?  I have used it to test equipment sometimes.  Also, some high quality ones can provided the amperage you need to run the system.

Phill

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
The converter would be your best bet. A car battery charger could work, but the duration and frequency of use would probably burn it out long before an AC-DC adapter.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
Definitely a AC-DC adapter. I used a computer power supply for about 6months didn't have a problem but i was only running 150rms so the amperage was fine for the application.
DuneTime 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

After extreme research, I have found a company specializing in power supply switches.  Check out Cosel USA's selection guide of single output AC/DC adapters here... http://www.coselusa.com/selection.htm#1.AC/DCSwitcher-SingleOutput.

For what I am trying to run, I think the P600-12, PBA1500F-12, UAW500S-12, or the UAF500S-12 would be able to satisfy my desire. I ordered a catalog from them just a little bit ago and I'll see if I can get any more information from that...

I have an ac/dc converter, but its only rated at 40 watts, so logic tells me that that equipment wouldn't work for more than a few seconds..

What's everyone think?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
why not invest in a good PA amp to use?
Quad L Handyman services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic