icon

question on wiring two amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
UPTsoccer4LIFE 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
i recently bought boss pd-3000 and mtx thunder 564 amps and a boss cap20c power capacitor. my question is...what is the best way to hook up the two amps. both amps of 4 gauge power and ground terminals, yet all the the distribution blocks only have 4 gauge input and 8 gauge out put. does this mean because of the split with in the block and the short distance from the two amps to the block mean i can use a 4 gauge power wire from the battery to the distribution block wit the power cap  hooked up to the 4 gauge wire between the battery and distribuition block and then 8 gauge wire from the distribution block to the amps. if i use 8 gauge wires from the distribution block to the amps then do i use 4 or 8 gauge wire for the ground wires of the amps. thanks for thelp.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
you can find a power distribution block with 4 gauge outputs.  you can find them with even bigger outputs than that, i think up to 1/0 gauge.  you just didnt find a store that sells them.  i know lightning audio makes them bc i have one.  if you cant find one at a local shop, you can order off the internet.  the one i have has two 2gauge inputs and three 4gauge outputs.      http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/lightningaudioblocks.html   try that web link and look at model GD3.  it has two 1/0 gauge inputs and 3 4gauge outputs. 
Autos4U 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

You can find 4 gauge out, but it will most likely require a 1/0 input from the battery. Keep in mind, you always want to run the same gauge ground wire. The current travelling through all your wires in the circuit need the continuity. I am thinking thogh, if you are running only  these two amps, and keep your wires from the distribution block as short as possible and have a quiet ground, you can easily get away with a quality 8 ga, wire to power them.

Just my .02 cents.

Tucker

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic