icon

2 X 12 4 ohms DVCs wired right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ToddNaz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

2 X 12 4 ohms DVCs wired right? - Page 2 -- posted image.

2 X 12 4 ohms DVCs wired right? - Page 2 -- posted image.
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, here's my system above. I took this picture this evening. I should of did it earlier when it was light? Anyway, this is my setup less the MB Quart speakers in the doors of course.

You think the enginge whining sound is because of the Coustic amp? Isn't the whining usually from a bad ground? Thanks for your help forbidden.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Some times the noise is the result of a bad ground but in alot of cases it is also due to bad circuit design in an amplifier, I need to know if the sound goes away when you unplug the rca's first from the sub amp, then from the coustic amp. Did you just buy the coustic amp or is it a little older. I believe that the coustic amp is probably made offshore, if so and if you can (and if the shop would let you) then you should try an american built amplifier, the Eclipse EA3422 ($449.00 cdn) is an awesome 4ch amplifier and I have never had noise issues with it. If you think your Quarts sound good now, wait until you hear them with an american built amp running them.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
Btw, is that box mounted down, cus if not make sure it is mounted really well, not just with backstrapping. A box like that is probably 100 + pounds and is a missile in an accident. Secondly if that box is rattling around loose, old sir Isaac Newton comes into play, you lose energy in the form of sound being turned into energy causing the box to shake, rock ,rattle and roll. Which brings us to the next topic, have you sound deadened the vehicle at all, and if so where abouts?
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged  

I disconnected the front speakers from the Coustic amp and hooked them up to the Ultimate amp for testing. The whining is coming from the Coustic amp in 4 channel mode. There was no whining with the Ultimate amp. I also noticed there was no whining in the back speakers only when I had the front speakers connected to the Ultimate amp. It seems the whining comes out when all 4 channels are being used on the Coustic amp. I guess that's what I get for trying to use a cheaper amp. It actually sounds really good. It just bothers me when it's at very low levels. Maybe I'm picky but I want to do this right. Thanks for your help.

Was a good clean 4 ch amp with 75W - 80W RMS per channel?

forbidden wrote:

My screw up, forgot you have a dvd system, most Panasonic heads  have little if not any noise problems. My next guess is your Coustic amp, I imagine this is where the noise is being generated, unhook the rca's from it, does the sound go away? Try everything I mentioned with this amp as well.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  

Here is a good amp for the money. 

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX4085

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

Did you check your RCA's? It is not uncommon to get a bad set that that will drive you nutz thinking that it's your equipment.

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
us acoustics are a great choice if indeed your amp is bad. It may be cheap rcas as well most cheap cables have poor insulation and can introduce noise in the sytem.
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
fuseblower wrote:

Did you check your RCA's? It is not uncommon to get a bad set that that will drive you nutz thinking that it's your equipment.

They used Streetwire RCAs so I believe they are fine? They have kind of a silver nylon weave insulated around them.  The RCAs also have grounds on r & l (red & black) that are not being used. After testing the fronts on my 2 channel Ultimate amp while experiencing no whining with the same RCAs, I would assume they are fine? Right?

forbidden 
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

Toddnaz, the chance of the rca cables being at fault is slim to none, same with the chance (but check anyhow) that they can the rca's by the power. More than likely it is your coustic amplifier that is built in singakoreatiawanapore. Not that this is bad but the power suplly's immunity to prevent noise is just not there. The scosche ES034 ground loop isolator may definitely help you out. If you are going to go the mile and get a new amplifier make sure it is built in the US, very, very few noise related problems here. Now most american built amplifiers have much larger power supplies (higher current) and to drive the MB Quart 's good and clean you can actually look at small as 50w x4 rms @ 12v from 20-20000hz. If you must look for a spec this is where you want to be, anybody's KRAFT built cheez machine can hit 100w x4 for power at 1000hz @16 volts. Now some manufacturers rate their power at 14.4, that's fine, knock of 20% of it's output approximately to hit 12 volt power output. What would I recommend... Eclipse PA5422, any Orion, Xtant, Soundtream (not Soundstorm), PPI and whole pile of others. Soundstream is a really old American amp company, not excessively big, has had financial problems in the past (now solved big time - these guys will be huge in 2 years) but build really really nice sound quality amplifiers, they would be my first choice if you can find a dealer, otherwise look at the Eclipse then Xtant.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic