more bang for my buck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
euroguykai 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

I've got a 1987 VW Jetta and I desperately need some new sounds.  I'm not looking to win any competitions, but I want to feel my base.  I recently acquired a Kenwood KDC 3090R Cd Receiver which is about 25 wpc rms.  I want to use the KDC to power 2 pairs of speakers and use the "rear preamp" to hook up an amp with a sub.  It's been a while, so please excuse me.  Can I use all four channels from the head unit along with the pre-outs at the same time?  and if so, to get the best base, should I use 2 subs in stereo or bridge to one sub?  Or, can I bridge the sub amp, and through the miracle of Ohms, use 2 subs with minimal rms.

gl012127 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

One thing i know is that you cant bridge head unit outputs

superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
What you should do is just hook up the amp to your head unit and bridge 2 subs into the amp for the subs... that will give you the most output
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Close but no banana superstreet786. Your right only if certain conditions are met. This means that he would either have 2 single 8 ohm subs wired in parallel to a 4 ohm mono bridged amp - ok. 2 single 4 ohm subs wired parallel to 2 ohm mono sub amplifier - ok. 2 siingle 4 ohm subs wired parallel to 4 ohm mono amplifier - not ok. Best thing for this customer to do is go find the subs or amp that he wants, come back to you or me or anyone else and we can spec him out the proper match of subs/amp/box for his best bank for the buck. Yes he can hook up all four speakers and use the pre-outs as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
euroguykai 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys.  And Forbidden, I like the banana comment.  You just don't get quality comments like that nowadays.  While we're on the topic of Ohms...

If you take two 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel, they can be connected as one 4 ohm spkr.  Is this correct?  And if you connect two 4 ohm spkrs in series, it doubles the ohms?  If this is the case, you could basically keep hooking sets of spkrs up in series and parallel and maintain a desired ohm level? 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that is a correct analogy of both cases you mention. I in fact have hooked up no fewer that 36 Rockford 12" subs to their smallest 150watt mono sub amp that is designed to operate @ 2ohms. Subway absolutely hated it, bread sliding all over the place, loaves wouldn't rise, I loved it. Played stinkin loud, however it was done for effect and to show a customer what an old school Rockford amp could do, I do not recommend this for those of you who listen to your gear on a daily basis. I replied to a fellow earlier that even though you may be keeping a stable impedance for the amp to see, now it's power output is being divided by all the speakers on the circuit. Does it get louder, yes up until a point. Remember the worst thing you can do to a sub is underpower it (which causes the amp to clip and your favorite dealer sees you in for new subwoofers!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic