icon

Best gain setting for my amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ToddNaz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

What's the logical way to set your gain control for your amp for best sound quality? I'm referring to my 4 channel amp powering my 4 speakers and my 2 channel amp bridged in mono. What do I listen for as I tune my system? I have my 4 MB Quart speakers running with the HPS switched on the amp. I have the 2 channel mono bridged at 800 watts into 2 - 12" Fosgate HE2 DVC woofers. I keep messing with the settings on my head unit and amps but I can't seem to find a "sweet spot".

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I meant the HPF, high pass filter. Not HPS, that was a typo.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

I like Nasty Totoro's method here: http://totoro.efiregate.net/HTMLPages/Tuning/GainSetting/GainSetting.htm

Be sure to read the entire two pages of information.  If you don't understand something, he is pretty good at answering questions.  The test CD he offers for download is a VERY big file, but it helps make things easy if you are serious.  Good luck.

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks DY. I will start reading that now.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, how ya doin with the noise issue and the gain settings?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks forebidden. I'm bringing my car to Car Toys in about 20 mins. They better not try blow me off and say it's "ok". I also see that they didn't mount the TV antennas on the rear window. If fact I can see where they installed them. I see that they're connected to the brain though. I wonder where he mounted them?
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
I meant I CAN't see where they actually installed the TV antennas. Are they under the seat or something? I can get UHF channels ok but not VHF. I know VHF channels can come in ok because the did with my old Kenwood DVD in my 300ZX. It seems he was being lazy with the antennas?
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

I went back to Car Toys today. The installer said he installed the antennas in the OEM subwoofer hole. That won't do. I suppose I could pull them out and mount them on the rear window myself? Why would I do that when I paid?

Chad was real cool about it and said to bring back tomorrow and he'll put the antennas on the rear window + re-ground to get rid of the whining. We'll do some testing to see if it's that Coustic amp. Besides the whining, the amp sounds pretty darn good with the MB Quart speakers. But that whining is unacceptable. I'm not spending this much money to hear that ghetto whine.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
Todd I see that you got everything installed.  I don't know the pre-out volts on your radio but it looks like panasonics avg 4-5 volts on the pre-outs.  If I am correct you will want to set your gain about a 1/4 of the way from 0.  This should get you close to the 4-5 volt input range on the amp gain.  The ultimate amp is very sensitive when it comes to clipping, it will shut down almost immediately when distortion start to occur.  As for the whinning noise there could be multiple issues.  The issues could range from the RCA wires, radio ground, amp ground or the RCA inputs of the amps could have been cold soldered.
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks fb. You are a great help. I have the gain just below a 1/2 right now. I will turn it down to 1/4 as you say. What about the bass boost? What level should I have that at? I have it at a little past 1/2 way right now. It sounds pretty good but it will go into protection if I play some rap or something with a lot of continous, low bass. I want have it set so it doesn't go into protection at higher volume levels. You're right about these Ultimate amps, they're pretty sensitive to clipping. Should I keep this Ultimate amp to power my 2 - 12" Fosgate HE2 woofers or return it for a Kicker 800W amp? Is this a good amp to use mono bridged at 800 watts? I like the amp when it's pusing my woofers correctly. It sounds pretty clean.

I'm bringing my car back to Car Toys in about a hour from now to hopefully resolve the whining and mount the TV antennas (VHF and UHF antennas) to the rear window. Thanks for all your input. You're great!

fuseblower wrote:
Todd I see that you got everything installed.  I don't know the pre-out volts on your radio but it looks like panasonics avg 4-5 volts on the pre-outs.  If I am correct you will want to set your gain about a 1/4 of the way from 0.  This should get you close to the 4-5 volt input range on the amp gain.  The ultimate amp is very sensitive when it comes to clipping, it will shut down almost immediately when distortion start to occur.  As for the whinning noise there could be multiple issues.  The issues could range from the RCA wires, radio ground, amp ground or the RCA inputs of the amps could have been cold soldered.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic