icon

Mounting amp under seat - good idea?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phamine 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
One reason I don't want to do it because I would only have about 2 cm of clearance from the top of the amp to the bottom of the seat. Would  amp be okay there. it's a mtx 50 watt per channel 4 channel amp
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
only if it can get plenty of air. even a small amp can heat up in a bad air space. a fan would help too.
Big Dave
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I would be inclined to try it there, even with that limited amount of air space. I am assuming that you are using this amplifier to drive your front and rear speakers and not your big nasty acoustic hairdryers. The amplifier will not work near as hard as a companion amp that drives subs. If this is your sub amp, do not put it under the seat. An amplifier is designed to get warm, if it's not then it's not doing it's job. A natural byproduct of producing power is heat.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
If I were you I would put it in and run it for a while and if it seems like its overheating and not getting enough air maybe try some other place
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
peteacher 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have ran a 4x100rms amp under my seat for three years without not much hassles...I think it depends on many factors..
1. Air movement
2. Air temperature inside car
3. Obviously the load you put on it
4. If fat people sit on your passenger seat
I think you will find that most amp these days have safety cut out switches in case of overheating, so I would personally try it there (since its a good location for easy access)and if you find that it starts cutting out, maybe try the boot...
phamine 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

I am using it to drive soeakers , no subs. I'll try it there, I don't like having it in the trunk

thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic