icon

Custom Installations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjerman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
I want to do a custom install in my trunk. Wanna use MDF and some plexiglass w/ some neons and maybe a tv. Anyone know any good tips/ tricks/ ideas or anything like that, that could help me out. Any easy way to like cut the MDF or a good way to measure it so it will fit right. Any info would be great appreciated.
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - It's Swedish isn't that weird?
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

if you can get a table saw, and measure about a 1/8" smaller than you think i good. make sure to always cut on the out side of your marks.

Quad L Handyman services
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

Don't know quite what you had in mind....but a nice, simple way to get things done is to create a sealed wall in the back of your trunk with the MDF. (Take out your back seat and that way you can seal it from the inside). As for amps, easy way to do things is to just take a square piece of MDF,  jigsaw out what portion of the amp you want to be seen in the center of it and then cut your plexi larger than what you just jigged. Shag your MDF, then mount your plexi to the back of that hole you just jigged. A great place to make this happen is in the spare tire well. Lots of space for your neon to shine and light up those amps at night time. You can use your existing spare tire cover as an MDF template. Then to hold the amps up create a rack off of the piece of MDF that now looks like your spare tire cover.

Sorry if it's hard to understand....but it seems to play out easy in my head.  

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
wrencher_25 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

Don't know quite what you had in mind....but a nice, simple way to get things done is to create a sealed wall in the back of your trunk (inbetween the backseat and the back of the trunk - subs facing towards the back of the trunk) with the MDF. (Take out your back seat and that way you can seal it from the inside). As for amps, easy way to do things is to just take a square piece of MDF,  jigsaw out what portion of the amp you want to be seen in the center of it and then cut your plexi larger than what you just jigged. Shag your MDF, then mount your plexi to the back of that hole you just jigged. A great place to make this happen is in the spare tire well. Lots of space for your neon to shine and light up those amps at night time. You can use your existing spare tire cover as an MDF template. Then to hold the amps up create a rack off of the piece of MDF that now looks like your spare tire cover.

Sorry if it's hard to understand....but it seems to play out easy in my head.  

Andrew Weitzel
bigjerman 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
If i put the amp in spare tire well under the plexi and MDF do u think that it mite get a lil hot? Should i think about a fan or sumtin like that? Thanks for all the help.
1998 Volvo S70 T5 - It's Swedish isn't that weird?
wrencher_25 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
DC fans are cheap and cheerfull to get and do always help. What you can do is perhaps create vents on top of your piece of MDF.....make it look cool....get creative. We never had a problem with our amps (rockford and kickers) but it is fairly possible that it could be a problem. But make the install your own...something to be proud of, something you can show others. That's why I'm doing it for a living (at the moment). It's a great hobby and be happy that you can take your skills and do something with it. Good luck.
Andrew Weitzel
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2003 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
mdf is fairly easy to work with but if you dont have much experience with woodworking anything could be a pain in the ass. I recomend using stiff cardboard that can be cut with a razor knife and masking tape use the cardboard as a template and try each piece before you screw it all together take you time and dont glue it together until you are sure it fits exactly the way you want it/

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic