icon

Having problem with DEI 551T on a BMW

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rbc827 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed a DEI 551t remote starter with the DEI 555B EWS II bypass unit on a 1997 BMW automatic. The problem I am having is that when I try to use the remote start function, the engine will not turn over, but it does try to crank. The car powers up and all the accessories work fine, and the car trys to crank, but only for a split second. I have tried multiple configuration settings on the 551t.
Has anyone installed one of these on a BMW and made it work? If so, do you remember the configuration settings you used?
Thanks.
laren5 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

1.Try to insert a key in the ignition without turning it.   And then try to remote start it.   If it does start then it is probably the 555B not installed properly.

2. Try to insert the key in the ignition and then turn the key to the run position (do not start it).   And then do a remote start.   If the car does start then you have to recheck your wiring.

Clifford Alarms
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

I've done an RS3 with the 555B in a '97 318ti hatch-no sweat.  Sounds like there is a problem with the wiring w/transponder unit.  I'd troubleshoot and isolate the issue as "laren5" posted.

"The car powers up and all the accessories work fine, and the car trys to crank, but only for a split second."  -that's strange, I had the transponder hooked up without the key the remote start would beep-but the engine wouldn't crank of course;key in the transponder, remote started it-started ok. split second starting, strange....

rbc827 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have tried the first senerio, but I will try the second one today. I have played with all the settings on the 551t. Engine On and Off, Tach or Voltage sensing, 4 sec crank time, but none are working.
When I do the diagnositcs I get the LED blinking 3 times indicating that the RPM's are low or non existant. I know I have the right wire hooked up for the RPM (black wire from instrument cluster reading 6 AC volts when car is on).
rbc827 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
This evening I put the key in the ignition (but did not turn it) and tried to start the car with the remote. The car did the same thing as before, trys to crank, but will not turn over.
Then I put the ignition in the run setting and hit the remote, and the engine turned over with no problem.
So now what do I need to look at? All the accessories work when the car trys to crank.
rbc827 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
I rechecked my wires and everything is hooked up correctly. The ignition wire gets power once the remote starter has activated. Also, the accessory wire for the radio and AC unit gets power. I have proper ground as well. The crank wire is fine too.
The only thing I can think of is to run the power wires for the remote relays directly from the battery. Right now I have both of them hooked up to the constant wire from the ignition.
But I don't see how that could be the problem if the remote starter works if the car is alreay in the run position.
What am I missing?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic