icon

am radio static when headlights on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hbo1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have a new F250 Diesel w/single cd radio.  When I turn on the parking or headlights, I get a lot of static noise on am.  I do know that others with same truck are having this problem.  Figured you folks could steer me to some kind of filter to correct this?  Being a diesel, I know resistor spark plugs sure aren't going to help! am radio static when headlights on - Last Post -- posted image.  Going on a cross-country trip next week and would sure like the am radio at night!  Thanks guys.....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
My F350 diesel (2001with factory radio) has not had this problem, nor have I seen it. We do a lot of work on the Ford Trucks and have not seen it in any of them. The first thing I would try is replacing the factory radio with another, an easy task at the dealer as warranty would take care of it. Hopefully the problem will disappear.I have seen 1 major flaw in a Ford vehicle and it resulted in 6 blown amplifiers before I convinced and showed Ford this problem. The problem was traced to a bad vehicle ground on the firewall from the battery. This was not in a F250 but in a 2001 Ranger. If the problem still exists with a different factory radio, I would look more closely at the routing of the antenna cable, next a possible break in the antenna wire (you may not be able to see this) and finally the grounding and power connection of the radio and their proximity to the antenna. You may have a relay that is putting out all sorts of noise into the power system of the vehicle. This relay is energized when you turn on the parklights / headlights. The radio may be drawing power from a point on the same circuit. Good luck.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Hbo1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2003 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Rob, I'll see what connections I can find and check tomorrow.  My brother has an '02 F350 and doesn't have the problem either.  Mine is the new 6.0 with dual alternators to boot, so that might compound problems, who knows.  Here is a thread I had going some time ago about this problem.  One guy went to some length, including a new radio, to no avail.  DieselStop Thread

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a whirl.  Hate to take it to the dealer, I hate dealers! 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic