icon

Stock Head + Kicker Amp Problem.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dant98 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with digital climate control and stock Mach audio system.  I've just added a Kicker 500.2 amp to power a Kenwood eXcellon 12" sub.  I've now been having problems with the stock audio system on occation.  It will power up and appear to be operating, but no sound will come out of the speakers or the sub.  Because it's the stock head unit, I have the amp connected to the high level input.  I think my friend who helped set it up also crossed the front an rear inputs so that there would be no change in sub output if we fade from front to rear or vise versa.  When this problem occurs, after shutting off the car and turning it back on, the audio system functions normally.  So far we've seen  the problem happen after simply turning the radio off and back on while the car is running or turning on the radio after a remote start and we can't seem to replicate it at will.

-Dan
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

If what you are saying is you connected BOTH the front and rear speaker level inputs to the same connections on your amp, PLUS you are using the Mach system power for the main speakers, what you have done is cross-connected the front and rear channels in the main amps and placed too low an impedence load on the factory amps.  I suggest you immediately disconnect your sub amp before you destroy the factory system amps.

If you are trying to create a non-fading signal to your sub, you need to purchase the proper sub prossessor system that will do this for you.  You cannot simply connect both front and rear speaker signals together. 

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
and also because that car has factory amp in it.  you have to tap right at the speaker for the LOC.  if u tap behind the radio, it will give you problems because those wires lead to an amp not a speaker
dant98 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

I think I need to stop assuming the place that install my old amp was using the correct wire.  Tomorrow I'll cut those HLI lines and tap new ones right off the factory rear speakers for my left and right inputs.

As an update, I blew my Kenwood 12" sub, so just picked up some Audiobahn 12" subs to run in my old 12" dual chamber enclosure.  The new subs are 550 watt RMS, 1100 peak so I don't think I'm going to blow these ;)

-Dan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic