icon

Cavalier radio stays on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LittleB 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
(1) Is it normal for the radio to turn on when a 2000 Cavalier is remote started?
After car shuts off (with key OR 15 min remote starter run timeout) radio stays on untill door is opened as per GM factory 'feature'...   
(2) Can the radio be turned off by the remote starter?
I have the DIRECT START CS324T sterter. It has a 're-arm' signal that I wonder if I can somehow hook to door switch?
v8fiero 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
At the ignition harness on your vehicle, the brown wire powers up the accessories (radio, wipers, and such). Just make sure that there is nothing hooked to that wire from the remote starter. That way when you remote start it the radio will not turn on and stay on until you open the door. Hope this helps you out.
LittleB 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I double checked the wireing diagram, and there is no brown wire listed. I know the only BROWN wire I hooked up was for the parking lights... I heard that it may be possible to 'pulse' the door switch so the radio will go off after the car shuts off... but I would rather the radio just not come on in the first place.
The only accessory wire I show is:
Accessory - Orange - Ignition Switch Harness (Heat/AC)
-B
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
well i dont see a brown wire for anything in your car that has to do with the radio. I think it is powering with the orange wire. YOu can find the radio switched ignition wire and use a relay to break circuit while remote started.This should work to stop radio from comming on.
v8fiero 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2003 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
From the info I have below, I would think the (brown) second accessory wire would be the one to trigger the radio circuit. But I don't know for sure, haven't worked on one. But here is a copy of the info I have for you.
|       ITEM      |     WIRE COLOR     |POL|       WIRE LOCATION        |
|              12V|red                 |+ |ignition harness            |
|          STARTER|yellow              |+ |ignition harness            |
|        IGNITION|pink               |+ |ignition harness            |
|        ACCESSORY|orange              |+ |ignition harness            |
| SECOND ACCESSORY|brown               |+ |ignition harness            |
|       POWER LOCK|lt. blue            |*2 |either kick panel           |
|     POWER UNLOCK|white               |*2 |either kick panel           |
|       LOCK MOTOR|gray               |   |drivers kick panel          |
|     UNLOCK MOTOR|tan                 |   |drivers kick panel          |
|    DISARM DEFEAT|tan                 |   |passengers kick panel       |
| PARKING LIGHTS +|brown               |   |harness to rear, dkp        |
|       HEADLIGHTS|dk. blue            |- |headlight switch            |
|     DOOR TRIGGER|grn/blk & lt. blue |- |*3                          |
| TRUNK/HATCH PIN|black               |- |trunk light                 |
|TRNK/HTCH RELEASE|BLACK/ white        |+ |BCM *4                      |
|       TACHOMETER|PURPLE / white        |   |engine harness *1           |
|       BRAKE WIRE|white               |+ |stop light switch           |
|     HORN TRIGGER|black               |- |steering column             |
|           WIPERS|                    |   |                            |
| LF WINDOW UP/DN|dk. blue - brown    |A |LF window motor in door     |
| RF WINDOW UP/DN|lt. blue - tan      |A |drivers kick panel          |
| LR WINDOW UP/DN|dk. green - purple |A |drivers kick panel          |
| RR WINDOW UP/DN|lt. green - purple |A |drivers kick panel          |
Notes:
NOTE: This vehicle has the passlock II immobilizer system that, when adding a remote start, must be interfaced with. Use DEI part 555t or 555L. *1 The engine harness is found next to the battery, below the radiator hose, just above the transaxle.   *2 Non keyless cars, locks are 5wi (type C) and they are mastered from the passenger side switch. Keyless cars, locks are positive trigger (type A). Also found at BCM. *3 The GREEN/ black is located in the lower drivers kick panel. It catches the drivers door only. The light blue is located in the lower passenger kick panel, and catches the passenger door(s). Tap both wires and diode isolate each. Also found at BCM. *4 The BCM is located to the left of the steering column above the kick panel.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2003 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

yup....you will have to relay the power to the radio but, the issue is that if you relay the main power, you will loose the clock settings. and the switched power is not runn directly to the radio as it is a databus radio....hmmm.... i thuink this might be a nightmare waiting to happen.  grin.....all you can do is try to disconnect the starter from whatever wire is powering the radio, but if it is a main ignition, this may HAVE to be powered to start the car. let me check and see if i have a diagram for the car...........................yup....the orange wire is controling the heat/ac, the radio is powered by the main pink ignition wire, this must be connected to start.       I think you may HAVE to investigate the door trigger.   I can tell you that you will have to supply a negative pulse to the drivers door wire which is Light green with a black stripe, if you are using an autostart/polarstart/prostart/etc. There is a blue wire(pin#14) on these systems, it is made for disarm, it will provide a negative pulse 4 seconds after remote start and 4 seconds after timeout. that is what i would do.

ok here we go,       Connect the Blue (disarm) wire to the light GREEN/ black wire at  the convienience center module located under the driver dash. that shoul turn the radio off (and keep the time) 4 seconds after the car has started.

sorry about the long post but i figured this out while i was writing it. BTW: i just remebered how many of these i have done without doing this procedure and may recall as many as i can so their battery wont die. thanks for the help.

have fun

druid1200 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok the way I have been doing it is comming off the ignition three output wire from the alarm with a wire and diode to the door pin wire.   The ignition 3 output wire is a positive when remote started, and negative when not remote started. If you give the door pin signal a negative (on some vehicles) it will kill the body control module which is keeping the radio and cluster powered...hope this helps...JONES

druid
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Use the orange wire to pulse the door trigger which is Lt.GREEN/ Black in the drivers door harness.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
J Rilla is correct. The 12 gauge wire in the ignition harness does provide power to the accessories such as the radio and wipers. Your vehicle is probably new enough to have RAP (retained accessory power) The BCM activates the radio and by starting the car the BCM tells the radio to turn on. After the car shuts down the radio will continue to work until it sees the driver's door open. This tells the BCM to shut off RAP.
sparky
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
it times out after 10-15 minutes, if it worries you, use your "re-arm" wire to pulse the drivers door pin, it's light green with a black stripe in the drivers kickpanel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic