Incorporating a laptop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Perinne 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

First post here... I have a street/strip '97 Mustang that I'm building and would like to have a decent stereo system in it. I will be running a FAST DFI to run the car, this system calls for a laptop to tune the vehicle and I will be keeping the laptop on while driving for diagnostics. Is there any benefit or way to incorporate the laptop into the car stereo system? I currently do not have a head unit and actually need to create an opening in the dash due to having installed a blank delete plate. I would be thrilled if the laptop could be used with or instead of a new head unit. Any info?
Thanks!

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

You can create a system in your car centered around your laptop. You will need amp(s), and other components depending on your laptop.

Perinne 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I figured the key components would be a good crossover to split the signal to the amps as well as crossing out the frequencies correctly as well as an on off switch for the amps since a laptop wouldn't do that.  Am I missing anything else besides the speakers, sub, and amps?
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Much as the other reply said, it depends on your laptop. Must warn you, most laptop sound cards...suck! But you can get away with it, if you get a decent Car Audio Signal Processor, with built-in x-over. As far as a switch for the amps...just hook a relay up to ignition 2...whenever you start your car, the amps turn on, turn it off, they go off.
Now if you wanna go crazy????????
Install a "PC" into the car. You can easily purchase I think, 8.5" touch screen LCD monitors online. Plus in the dash Locale you can mount a cd/dvd-rom drive, get a decent sound card that does digital 5.1 decoding, and just run the rca's back from the card to the amps, and have about 200 gigs worth of MP3 space.
Don't ask...actually do ask...I got really really bored one day, had an old puter......and well.......I love not changing CD's anymore.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

The only downfall I see is how hard it is to control it.  Switching song by using a mouse while driving would be a pain, and very dangerous.  But maybe the demand is great enough that someone has made an interface that works?

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with DeathsJester12V.  Your laptop sound card won't give you the best sound but it will work with the right processor.  In addition you would be able to listen to radio or watch TV or movies if you decided to add this option.  http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner.shtml

As for the amp on to the amps you can control them with the ACC switch or use toggle switches your choice. 

If you have the time, patience, cash flow and know how you can install a PC in your car that would probably out do the top of the line car stereo. 

With the room to upgrade.

DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly.....it's all about patience and cash flow. Know how??? Hey that's what we're here for. Someone has atleast tried it before ( i.e. me ) Another thing to look at, is the price of a laptop, compared to a home built PC...laptops usually cost more $$$ than building a computer, and no matter what OS..( including win XP ) they have tendency to lag, especially with any programs running in the background, like F.A.S.T. DFI will be doing. if you already have the laptop, cool...you can make it work. If not...time to do some Price Shopping. look at the cost for all the components you will need. Sound Processor (DSP), x-overs ( if applicable, depends on the DSP ), RCA's, Amps, Laptop. Than look into the computer components. I will warn you, the most expensive part will be the monitor. for the touch screen do a google search. as far as all the other parts. Like, Motherboard, RAM, Hard Drive, Sound Card, Video Card and Power Supply, go to Tigerdirect.com. Remember you don't need a case, you can build your own. one thing to remember..Laptops, upgrading is limited...PC's unlimited.
When you have decided...throw up a post, or e-mail me whatever...and I'll guide you through it...it's fairly easy, jsut time consuming.
Digger67 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

If you use winamp to control the music selection then you can use either a wireless mouse or even just a hard wired number pad in your center console to control it.

flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
hmm this sounds rather intriguings i must say... i have a stereo in my car and everything and a fairly nice computer what would i need to incorporate this into my car??
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well....the hardest part is the monitor...cause even a 15" Flat Screen is to big....unless you put it in an overhead console and that...just don't look right..so first off, you gotta find a touch screen monitor..that's small enough to fit in your dash...another reason for the touch screen...is it eliminates your need for a mouse or keyboard...it's all point and push on screen. However, I still make jacks so if I need to I can plug a mouse and keyboard in for service reasons. From there...Making sure your sound card is 4.1 or 5.1, making 1/8" ro RCA cables ( or buying them ) making sure your Alternator can handle the load...and installing an 12V to 110V converter..found at most camping stores. oh and a lot of ingenuity and fabricating...To make it look like it belongs that's all.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic