Parking Lights 96 Lumina

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sbriar 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

can anyone help me with finding the right wire to hook up to for the Parking Lights to a 96 chevy Lumina, I have two different Vehicle wiring Information sheets on this, one from Directed Electronics says it is a brown wire, the 12volt diagram say it is a gray wire, can anyone tell me the best place to splice into this wire and where it is located.

Also is there a easy way to disable the Passkey on this vehicle without buying a comerial product.

Thanks

Steve

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

luminas use the chip encoded key.  i cant remember but you might have to have a 2nd copy of that key to give up.  it goes inside the bypass module, that way the car thinks the key is in while it runs.  since all installer have a handy DMM, probe all of the wires on the back of the switch.  ground one probe and start testing the wires by turning the switch on and off.  the one that shows 12v + when they lights are on and 0v when they are off is your wire.

Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  

My info shows that the 1996 Lumina does not have passlock, passkey, vats , any thing.  So you dont need to diable anything.

The parking lights is brown, at the headlight switch.  As for passkey, you wont find passkey in gm untill 02. 

Hak
Siemens Autostart
sroth140 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
really, maybe its a 97+ thing then, what year was the new body style?  my mother has a 97 (i think) that has the chip.
Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, 1997 has VATS. 
Hak
Siemens Autostart
sbriar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

And thanks for all yor help!

I will use a DMM to locate the parking lights, I have done this and thought I found the parking lights wire located in the drivers side kick panel, ( thought this would be a easy place to hook up to ) when I turned on the parking lights I got a reading on the DMM and didn't get a reading when I turned them off, so I decided to confirm my finding by un-hooking the wire to the harness, but when I turned  the parking lights on after disconnecting this wire all parking lights still came on, does this mean I still have the wrong wire?

Also I am sure that the 96 Lumina has PASS-key II, I have the owners manual in front of me that came with the car, and it talks about the PASS-keyII, also my key has a chip on it for the PASS-keyII, also my Security light on the dash has been on now for about 2 years, I am not sure why it is on but the car has kept running even with it on.

I know I need to disable this before I install my autostart unit, I don't really want the PASS-key at all, I thought I read on this forum somewhere but can't remember where I found it that tells you how to by-pass this unit and make it non fuctional.

Can any one help me out on how to completly  by-pass this thing like it is not even there.

I am installing a ProStart 3100

Thanks!

Steve Briar

Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

Just get the brown wire at the headlight switch.  If your security light has been on, (even when running?) then your passlock system may be non-functional, and a bypass is not needed.  Hook up the remote start and give it a try, if it dont work, then look at bypassing it.

Just my opinion.

Hak
Siemens Autostart
sbriar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

Haku,

Yes the security light is on during driving,  do you think that the passkey is not working at all, this would be a good thing for me. This must mean that that GM really didn't know what they were doing when they first introduced this passkey.

Still can anyone give me a wiring diagram to make sure this passkey does not intefere with the autostart unit.

Thank You!

Steve Briar

Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2003 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I will send you the document to do so, just wire it so the relay is activated by the ignition power off the ignition switch, so regardless of whether you key start or remote start, it will activate the bypass.  You can do it with a few supplies from Radio Shack.  Here is my email adress, email me if you dont want to post your email adress here.  ip3@centurytel.net

Hak
Siemens Autostart
sroth140 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2003 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
you have to hook up a 3rd ignition or something to a ground (to see a ground) while running or that light comes on.  i did something similar in a saturn, ill see what i can find.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic