icon

2 head units in a Ford Ranger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Squeakers 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2003 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone offer some advice on how to install 2 head units in a Ford Ranger, it is a 2 din whole, but there is nothing to mount anything to, you pull the factory stereo out and it is one big gaping whole, with nothing behind it.  I plan to install an Alpine 7995 and an Alpine PXA-H700.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
You need a dash kit.  What year is your truck?
Squeakers 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
2003, do they make a dash kit that supports 2 head units??
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Dual DIN dash kits will easily hold both these units, but I believe your truck has a 1.5 DIN opening, so no, you won't be able to put two full-size units in the factory dash opeining.  So I'd suggect you get the standard Ford 1.5 DIN dask kit and mount your 7995 in the dash, then mount your H700 processor under the dash using a "universal" mounting kit.  In a Ranger, you could probably remove the ashtray and put it there pretty easily.

Good luck.

Squeakers 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help
Squeakers 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Now i have conflicting information, DYohn says the dash is 1.5 DIN, Scosche says 2 DIN, can anyone solve this problem? What is the size of the dash hole?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
I believe your truck has a Double din opening. If you use Metra's Turbo kit 99-5805 http://www.metraonline.com/images/installation_instructions/99-5805.pdf it will give you all the mounting components you will need to mount the two units. You can purchase it online here http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/99-5805.html
DYohn 
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Metra lists the 2003 Ranger the same as all Rangers since 1999, as a 1.5 DIN using kit number 99-5804  That's all the information I have.
Squeakers 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm.... again conflicting, both of you list the same kits except for the last # either a 5 in a 2 DIN config or a 4 in a 1.5 DIN config.  Would it help if i mentioned that the Ranger has the mp3 player, w/o cassette.
Squeakers 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
The instructions in the link seem odd since i do not need to remove the trim bezel to remove the factory HU.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic