icon

Need help faking out On Board Computer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rbc827 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have 97 BMW M3 and have installed Xenon headlights. The Xenon headlights require less voltage for them to operate compared to the factory bulbs. The (OBC)On Board Computer in the BMW's scan the voltage readings on all the lights in the car and if one is out or if the voltage is low, the OBC will display that the light that has low or no voltage is out. So everytime I turn on the headlights, the OBC will flash that my headlights are out when in fact they are not.
I need a way to fake out the OBC into thinking that there is enough voltage in the headlights so it will not display this message. I was thinking of hooking up a relay setup on both headlights so that when I turn the headlights on, the voltage + and - will connect with a resistor between the two wires.
Do you think this will work? If so, what size resistor should I use that can simulate a working bulb, but not to low of impedance to blow a fuse or catch fire?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
QUick question, do you mean less power meaning less watts?  Or current? 
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
G4uk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

If you're going to connect a resister in circuit then why not simply leave the original lamps connected and mount them in the engine bay instead, we have done this kind of thing before when fitting halo lights, makes a nice feature too as long as you mount them in a suitable housing.

G4uk

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic