the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

83 Cadillac remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

I have a huge problem. I am installing a Prestige APS 685 in a 1983 Cadillac (no model listed on car). Check here for the install manual: http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productid=541886&langId=-1

I got done with the install and was programming the tach. I started the vehicle, like I'm supposed to do, and it started to turn over, so I let go of the key (back to the "on" position). But the engine died. So I did it again, but it wouldn't start. That's when I started smelling smoke. It turned out that the pink wire (ignition 1, which I metered to be sure) melted the plastic cover a good distance right past where I soldered on the blue wire from the alarm. We also noticed the loom smoking just past the battery post on the fender under the hood. It started melting a butt connector put in by someone else on one of the wires. So we unscrewed the battery disconnect. Well I cut the blue wire I added, and re-applied power. Now it tries to turn over, but doesn't catch. Also, a security light is flashing on the dash. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they are fine. I also checked those wires on the wheel well under the hood, and they all have power past any fusible links. I re-checked that pink wire, and don't have any power to it when the key is put in ignition.

Now my paperwork says that there is an OEM disarm wire in either kick pannel that should be light green. It says it is a negative trigger. I tried grounding all the green wires in both kick pannels (making sure they didn't have power first), and it didn't disarm the factory alarm.
Also, the customer was complaining about a slow drain in the vehicle, and thought it was an alarm already installed. He asked us to take it out. There is no trace of an alarm in the vehicle (except maybe factory?), so I don't know where the drain is coming from.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

mazdatruckin 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

Well the only factory alarm would be the Theft deterrent module. sounds like a 83 deville by the colors... the theft moudle would be high above the gas pedal. light green PIN J. Or

As for slow drain, make sure your starter kill is not wire to +12V Constant. That could put a drain on the battery. EVerything seems fine between the alarm and the car.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
mazdatruckin wrote:

Well the only factory alarm would be the Theft deterrent module. sounds like a 83 deville by the colors... the theft moudle would be high above the gas pedal. light green PIN J. Or

Awesome, I will check that out.  Do you think that is why it won't start now?  Also, why did it do this in the first place?  Everything looks like it was wired just fine. 

mazdatruckin wrote:
As for slow drain, make sure your starter kill is not wire to +12V Constant. That could put a drain on the battery. EVerything seems fine between the alarm and the car.

I'm not too worried about that.  It was there before I installed this alarm today.  It was just if I could fix it.  But I'd rather get the remote start working without burning ignition wires first. 83 Cadillac remote start problem -- posted image.

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
thats really strange.   did you check your blue wire, thats the ignition coming from the alarm module?  see if it was maybe scratched somewhere and touching ground?  thats really the only thing i can think of without seeing it since you said the ignition wire is the one that melted.  good luck, i hope u get it working.  i know how stressful those situations can be.  ive been in a few of them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic