icon

Honda Element Alarm Install issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mexiwaiian 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2003 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

If someone has some suggestions please respond.

I have just installed a DEI Hornet 732t alarm system in a Honda Element. The alarm install went fine, but I am having an issue with one thing. The SRS (supplemental restraint light) turned on and I am trying to find out why. The owner is to bring it back sometime today or tommorrow so that I could look into it more. Has anyone done an alarm system in a Honda Element and ran into this problem?

The only thing that I could think that would cause this is maybe when I removed the seat and had to disconnect the 2 connectors under the seat which has something to do with the seatbelt tensioners. I cannot thing of anything under the dash other than blowing the fuse that could cause this light to come on. Any suggestions.

It is a 5 speed manual transmission 2003 element.

Regards,

Moses

vaderfop 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
If it has side airbags, by disconnecting that harness under the seat you could have triggered that light. You will have to reset the system, not sure how todo it with honda's, but if you disconnect the batttery for an hour or so, that should work, I know it works on GM's since I have had todo that to my own car.
Hope that helps, One other thing you can do is call a dealer and see if they will tell you how to reset the system.
Remember check all your wires with a DMM!
andrew2b4u 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
yeap by disonecting the seat wires and turning the ign with the seats out that will trigger it i know because i work for the honda dealershipim not a 100% sure but i think it has to be cleared with the honda computer ill find out 4 sure at work 2 morrow..................
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Have the customer go to Honda and they will clear the code for you. If you disconnect the seat and turn the ignition on it will trip the code. Honda usually will clear it one time for free.
DanDan
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
I think you have to wait a while after disconnecting the battery before you can unplug any airbag harnesses. Another installer at my shop unpluged the same harness in a Civic during an XM tuner install and tripped the SRS light. Battery was unplugged at the time too.   There is a backup battery for the airbag system that needs to drain first.
Mexiwaiian 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

Yeah it was the seat harness when disconnected it caused the SRS light to trip. I called a dealer and they all gave me the run around and said that resetting the element is complicated and that there is not way to do without the tools that they had and that it has to be taken in for them to reset it.

The owner of the element was one of those individuals that get worried that when any light comes on (including the gas empty light) it indicates a major failure. Since he wanted the light fixed right away I had to take the vehicle to the dealer and it cost me $105. All of that for about 2-5 minutes of work on the dealer side.

If any of you guys or gals know a resource on how to reset the SRS light and ABS light of different car vendors please let me know.

P.S. My only gripe is from an computer engineering background you would think that Honda would make the on-board computers just slightly more intelligent to where anytime the ignition is turned on it re-polls the critical safety functions and engine sensors on the car again and runs an internal self-test to see if the problem has been fixed and clear the light. If the same light is tripped several times (to indicate a glitch problem) it stores the tip count somewhere and after a certain amount of times it is tripped based on the programming it keeps the light on indefinitely until cleared by the dealer. Well, I guess the dealer wouldn't make any money if the ECU's were smarter so the chances of something like this happening would be slim.

1kewlexpo 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

Mexiwaiian,

Go to this site.

http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html

It will tell you how to reset the SRS Unit.  It works the same for the Element.  I also own a 2003 honda Element.  The plugs on the E are very sensitive.  You don't even have to remove it to set it off.  The connections can come loose easily.

1kewlexpo 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
BTW,  The reason for the SRS wiring under the seats for the element is for the seat belts.  The seatbelts on the E is the same as the CRV.  Once the SRS is deployed, the seat belts have an electronic device that gets activated.  The seatbelts will require replacement along with the airbags in an event of an accident.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic