icon

power connection to lcd, dvd, tv tuner +

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zeiden 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everybody.  I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.   I have many things in my 2003 honda civic that I need to run a power supply to.  I have two headrest monitors: blaupunkt ivms-7001, an alpine TCS-V430A tv tuner, Pioneer GEX-P910 XM Digital Satellite Radio Tuner, and a sony in dash lcd screen.

I have bought a 10 gauge power cable that I'm thingking of running from my battery along with a power distributor because I know that I can't get all of this power from the power cable running to my stereo unit.  (my stereo head is already powered.)

Is there going to be any problems since all of my equipment will be running directly from the battery?  Do I need anything else, and how can I make everything work like my stereo does... to turn on only when the key is turned to acc in the ignition?

Should I get the power from the fuse box?  if so, is this safe?  Please describe how to do it.

Thank you.

jcmyer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

use power from your battery, just use a relay to turn it into ignition switched.

zeiden 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

can you tell me what type of relay.  I've been asking around and someone refered me to this one.

item number: 120E5000     at crutchfield.com

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EWBokI4dfSy/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=120E5000

do you think this might work?

DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
The total current draw from all that equipment is not going to be that much. I would find out total current draw and find out the fuse rating for the radio. The relay thing is a bit much and way too much work. What ever you do make sure you fuse it at the source. You could also grab an acc. wire at the ignition switch which would easily handle the current needs. Just fuse it for the load you have. My guess that even with all you have the radio wiring would easily handle it.
DanDan
zeiden 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
You really think so.  I have decided to plug in my two rear lcd screens and the in dash lcd screen along with my stereo to the red acc power cable that powers the stereo.  the 10 guage power cable is powering the xm radio tuner (constant power is necessary anyways), now the only question is where do I plug in the tv tuner.  It doesnt need a constant power source, instead it requires a connection to the red acc power, should I just draw in power from the stereo cable also?  (the red cable looks really thin and I really think something bad might happen + I already have a 10 gauge power cable running from the battery anyway.)  
aidipf 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
your first idea of running power from the battery and using a distribution block was fine. you are right, you shouldn't be tapping a whole lot of wires into your stereo. all that current will be drawn from your head unit and take away power from your sound system and it will start to sound crappy. I suggest you use the distribution block and some relays. the kind of relays you need are just simple automotive relays. you can buy them at radio shack. this website has all the info as far as hooking them up.
mr. innovations
zeiden 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry, can you re-type the web page link?  It did'nt come out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic