icon

Starter, push button switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yeklow 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
Sometimes when i go to start the car with the key there is nothing there, but when i cross it over at the starter motor it clicks out and turns over the car/starts...  Im tired of doin it all the time. Can u tell me the way so i can add a simple switch that i can push,  that will start the car when i have the red dash lights on...(i hope u know what i mean )
Cheers,
ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

hi are you sure its the key switch did you test the solenoid wire for power when the key is in the start position or is it the starter solenoid that is fried.If you still want to ad push button find wsitch you like wire it to a relay and tie into starter wire off of keyswitch

thx kirk

wire swicht to ground on one side put the other side to pin 85

pin 86 to 12 v

pin 30 to fused 12v

pin 87 to starter wIre at ignition switch

good luck

kirk

genehewett 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2003 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
ck auto is right you need a new solenoid switch but if you want a push button i dont think a 30amp relay will be big enough for the starter. try a ford starter solenoid it is just a big relay. 
quebedeaux 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
it would be best to fix the problem, its not going to be the starter solonide, because when you apply power to the solonide the car cranks, so it is one of three things, !: a bad ign. switch, 2: a bad or missadjusted nutual saftey switch, 3: alarm starter inturpet problem
cadillacdieter 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
I also had that problem with a Cadillac.  It turned out to be a bad fusible link.  It was not completely broken, but it was broken enough that it wouldn't pass enough current to activate the solonoid.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  

say im not sure what time of ride you have? but i have a civic and that same thing happend to me, when I turn the key to the acc. postion my lights all that come on, when i turn it to the ON postion it would sometimes keep everything on such as the heater a few lights etc., then when I go to start it, It will start , I let go of the key and it shuts off...... I noticed that when the key was just a hair before or after the car would stay running ( for example what i did is I place the key just past the ON postion like a 1/8 of a inch, which is where it would stay on, then i start the car by crossings the posts on the start) worked just fined, except that while going down the road if the key was to move at all the car would then shut off and i would have to put the key back to the same postion ( really sucked) so I got it fixed   (350 bucks had to get a new tumbler )

I hope this helps

doug

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic