icon

custome sub box for cab of s-10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigrod 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
i have a chev s-10 (2000) extended cab and i want to build a custom sub box that has the sub facing the floor, and fits under the mini pull out seat in the cab? anyone have any advice? what dimensions should i use? materials? anything? thanks
rod
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Not too much space available there. If you don't mind a suggestion, take out the jack etc from the back wall and build your box in the area from near the fold down seat to the other side of the cab, keep the box up on the little ledge, I think it's about 7" wide, this should give you some good space for a single 10" sub and still be able to use the back seat as well as get in and out easily. If your set on under the seat, mock it up first out of cardboard and duct tape, then you can measure the interior volume and choose a sub to match both the volume and the mounting depth or lack therof. If you are going to progress further on this then I forsee many many many hours (if your a beginner) of cutting MDF and quite possibly fibreglass. Use the cardboard idea first, it will save you hours of time.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
you don't want to face the sub down unless it is designed to play that way.
Digger67 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do you mean somethingh like this ???
custome sub box for cab of s-10 -- posted image.
Digger67 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

This is set up for 2 X 10" firing down. I have access to the plans as it is designed by one of the guys in my truck club with a 2000 S-10 Xtra cab. If you want more info post here and I'll see if I can get the plans hosted right to link them in here for you as well.

bigrod 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
something like that, but with one sub (10 ") and i guess it doesnt have to be facing down. maybe along the back wall without the 2 parts facing forward and the sub facing the front??? i want to be able to access the seat and have room to put stuff on the floor. but those plans might still help, thanks.
rod
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Rod, take out the jack and hardware off of the back wall. Build your box on top of the ledge beween the seat area and behind the drivers seat, up to the bottom of the plastic below the rear window. This will probably yield a box volume of .75- 1.5 cubic feet, just enough for one 10" sub firing forward. I would suggest a Lightning Audio S3.10.4, it uses a nice tiny small easy to build sealed box, yields pretty good sound quality and pretty amazing depth. You will still be able to climb in and out of the rear area, use the rear seat and have all the storage space as well. I have done this box for a single 10" sub numerous times and have had great results every time.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

This topic brings up a few questions of my own that I hope someone can help me with:

1) I am wanting to put 3 JL Audio 10W6's in the back of a 2003 Ext. Cab Sonoma (basically the same as the S-10 that bigrod is asking about). Forbidden mentioned taking out the jack and the jack-bracket from the back wall. How can this be done? It looks to be welded in place, so I would assume a specialty shop would have to remove it(would it have to be an audio shop?) or someone with welding equipment and knowledge. Is this correct? Then it could be mounted to the side of the box or something?

2) Digger67, would you be able to post those plans you are talking about or link to them in some way? It may give me some ideas to help me in my box design. I can get the requisite internal volume fairly easy from a number of different configurations, but this may give me some better ideas and make things easier for me during the install, including where to put all the amps, processors, etc.. I am not concerned with being able to use the jump seat, by the way.

Any help that you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
the jack is usually removed with a cutting wheel and its not normally remounted. you might need to go and get a new bracket made if you wanted to remount it on the side of the enclosure.
Quad L Handyman services
Digger67 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Paradigm, you have a PM.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic