icon

fuse keeps blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flashalexb 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
My friend has a Lanzar VIBE248. Im pretty sure he is running it at 2 x 600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms but every time he turns it up his amp fuses blow. The two fuses he has are rated at 15. He is worried about getting a higher one because he thinks it will blow his amp. What size does he need?

flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/VIBE248/detail.asp that is a link to more info for his amp.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Is he blowing the fuses (they are 15 amps each correct?) in the amplifier or does he have mutiple fuse holders on the power line. I assume he is blowing the fuses in the amp. The only way that amp will make that much power (a huge, huge claim by the way) is to be struck by Lightning. A amp with two 15amp fuses is generally rated around the 60 - 100 watt rms per channel area. Lanzar claims according to their website a 2 x 300watt rms at 4 ohm rating. Either they have a unique mind blowing technology to turn rocks into gold or the wattage claim is made on the planet Uranus with 200 volts at 10000hz. This to me is a case where a manufacturer has deliberately misled the consumer, this is something I personally do not agree with. The person who sold this amplifier should also have informed you of this. If this amp is being used to power subwoofers, take it away, far away and get an amp that does not make claims but instead delivers facts. Now correct me if I'm wrong somebody, as I'm not a Lanzar dealer, but this claim is pretty large. Hopefully I had the correct info before goin off here. This does not mean that Lanzar does not build some good amplifiers by any means, it just means buyer beware.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Lanzar amps... well, let's just say their listed rating is VERY liberal and I would never recomend them.

If the amp has 2X15 amp fuses in it, it can only produce it's rated 300 watts RMS with a 20 volt input.  Not likely.  If it indeed has 2X15 amp fuses in it, it will top out at 180 watts with a standard 12V input.  If it is actually a 300 watt RMS amp, then it should have 2X20 amp fuses if it is rated at 14.4 volts, or 2X25 amps at 12V.  If the 15 amp fuses your friend keeps blowing are, as Rob asked, installed external to the amp, then they are too small.  Up their rating to equal the fuses installed by the factory in that amp.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like your ground is bad, or possibly because its a very sh!tty amp....one of the 2,,,more leaning to #2..
flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yea i was thinking the same thing lanzar amps seem to cheap to be as good as they say. And his system doesnt sound very good anyways.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic