icon

low level inputs on a 4ch!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
TheevesLLC, try getting a known source of signal ie a deck you got kicking around and wire it for pwer and ground right at the amp. run the rca pre-outs from this deck into the amp. and see if it works. You normaly cannot hook up a highlevel output directly to the lowlevel input of your amp. the impedence is probaly too low for the input of your amp. So try this and if it works just get a decent line level adapter and pray you dont get engine whine
Steve@A.E.S
TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

if any of you have read the followups by DYohn, you'd see that i was mistaken on naming the hi/lo inputs.  if you don't feel like reading up, here:

the speaker wires coming out of the deck, go into the plug on the amp.  i am using the highlevel output of the head, and the highlevel input plug on the amplifier. just like it's meant to be.

i'm not using any line converter, or any of that.  the impedance is matched.

anyway, i'm going to give it another whack tomorrow, so wish me luck!

thanks everybody

TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

SUCCESS!!!!  the amplifier is working perfectly now, minimal distortion, accurate xovers...  however i still have no idea what the problem was.  i put in a new amp, it worked. put the PA back in, and reran the speaker wires.  3 channels would sort of work, and when i hooked up 4 it would die.  it really seemed impedance related, but my colleague, majoring in math/physics, did the math, and shrugged, said it should work.  i know have the amp running with the FL and FR channels switched.

if i change them, the amp stops working.  i tried and tried to figure it out, but there isn't much consistency to it, so i found a working configuration, and called it a day.

i am never using highlevel inputs again.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
This is a long shot, but it COULD be that the speaker leads from your head unit are using a common ground and negative lead, and that is throwing off the input loading on your amp... or it could simply be the hi to low level transformers inside the amp are bad.  Whatever the case, congrats on getting it to work, and next time you have to use hi level signals to keep a factory head unit, I bet I hear an LOC calling your name!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic