icon

OEM Nav unit in 2003 Yukon Denali

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
copout221 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
 I just purchased a used GM Navigation radio out of a Cadillac Escalade that is the same model being offered from the factory for my 2003 GMC Denali. I do not know if the new radio will work in my Denali and am looking for some input from anyone who has knowledge with these units. I was told by several GM dealers that I cannot install the factory Nav unit into my truck but they cannot explain why. I contacted GM corporate who linked me to some electrical engineer who said it may work but could not give a definite answer. I contacted Delphi who makes the radio and they were no help, especially since I knew more about the unit than they did. What I know is the radio will most likely have to be reset or re-keyed to my Denali's vin and should plug right in to the existing harnesses. The GM/Delphi Nav unit is totally self contained and it's GPS antenna mounts in the dash that plugs into the back of the unit. I don't know why it won't work especially since I was successful in installing a 2003 Mopar RB1 Nav unit into a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a simple plug modification. If anyone has heard of someone replacing their factory GM radio with the Nav unit I purchased? If they were successful did they have any problems that had to be ironed out? Any help would be appreciated.
Don't fool with it if you don't know what it is !!
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I can't give you a definate answer but I would say it could work..Basically anytime you swap radios on a newer GM they have to go in with the tech 2 and program it according to the RPO's of your car. It is a LITTLE bit more difficult for them if the radio was previously installed in a different vehicle vs. installing a brand new never installed radio. Any competant mechanic should be able to do it, but I can assure you there are a bunch that don't have experience in these areas. So anyway they go into programming and there will be a bunch of options that they could select or deselect according to the rpo's of your vehicle. Things like having a factory dvd, amplified speakers, etc. I would think most of the options really wouldn't apply too much if it is totally self contained as you say. Hmm just a little insight like I said I really don't know for sure. Good luck,
Mike
copout221 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the information. A good friend from High School is a GMC service manager and he told me it should be no problem resetting the unit once I have it in. I just hope it works !!! It cost me a ton of money. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Ken

copout221 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

I received the Nav radio yesterday and installed it in minutes. It plugged right into the factory harnesses and had a GPS antenna that needed to be mounted . The radio powered up and displayed "Theft Prevention" so I took the truck to the dealer and they screwed around with it with the tech II programmer. An hour later and $60.00 poorer they had it up and running. It works great and I am very pleased with it. I do not have an owners manual so I am still a little lost on how to operate this thing. I also think the 1.0 ver of the mapdisc that was included is out of date.

OEM Nav unit in 2003 Yukon Denali - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic