icon

Running a car setup in a house

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slipitysmooth 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, Just been thinking, and i wish to run an 8ohm RF punch 12" in my bedroom off an amp that i have...However, power is my issue.Now, radio shack sells a 3 amp and a 10 amp converter, would this be enough to push around a 200 rms amp?  Or not even close?Would i have to purchase a battery and use the converter to power the batt?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
200 watts rms would be about 15 amps. you might be able to get away with it. can't help you much with the oter questions though.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:02 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 30amp power supply i'll sell you for 100.00 bucks
Big Dave
mark241 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Where can you get these power supplies, and how much do they usually run for cost?
G4uk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

Firstly the RMS qouted on your Amp is probably what can be delivered  into 4 ohms, you wanted to use an 8 ohm speaker, this would usually result in half the RMS power from the same supply voltage, another consideration is current, altho the power supplies mentioned above may supply ample current be wary of many of these units, if they are not adequately regulated they could supply not only DC to your amp but a fair degree of ripple or high transient voltages when under heavy load....NOT A GOOD THING.

Always go for the best you can afford and one with some overhead, around twice the peak current required would be good, sorry to bear bad tidings but better safe than sorry if you want to avoid cooking your Amp.

G4uk

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
my where house has them. pm me for details.
Big Dave
audiophyle247 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Why no tbuy a powered home theater subwoofer? Would look less "Trailer trashy". Its no different than running house speakers in your car, why do it?
audiophyle247 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Why not buy a powered home theater subwoofer? Would look & probably sound better w/ less complications. Its no different than running house speakers in your car, why do something like that?
slipitysmooth 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

I already have a 10" home sub in my living room, for my full 5.1 system, and a 8" home sub on my computer...so i do have that setup running...

I wanted a setup in my room and had this sub laying around..I decided it wasn't worth my time however.

Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

you could just build yourself a nice enclosure for it. i would recommend getting a home theatre sub amp... partsexpress.com sells some good ones (i bought my 250watt amp, built in variable xover and remote volume control). i put mine on 2 kicker comp10's (the old ones that took 1.5 cub.ft of air) and built a rather nice downfire enclosure for them. mounted the amp on the underside of the enclosure.

if you take your time, you can do it nicely w/o having to buy a home stereo sub.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic