icon

92 gmc 1500 fiberglass projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ls6tt 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 92 gmc 1500 and i am wanting to fiberglass somethings..first thing..these are not going to be my first projects im doing some smaller things first before taking these on

1.Door Panels..I want to be able to keep all the curves of my door..im thnking for support i leave the arm rest on there and glass over it...my question though is how do i glass over the door do i need to cut the panel and just leave the frame of the door and then glass over or what?

2. Same pretty much as above but this time my headliner.  I want to glass the headliner, do i just cut the frame out of the carboard and use it?

thanks for the help

ls6tt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

well my alst questions wernt answered so maybe this one will be

all of the how to's i have read people have put the fiberglass on the underside of the piece they were making...i am going to be doing my headliner can i put the fiberglass on the same side that i put the resin on?

kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well, you can the reason you would typically want to strengthen it on the back is because you do not have to do as much clean up work that way. The door panel, you need to scuff it up, so the resin has something to adhere to. I would assume that the panel has vinyl on it so that would need to come off, but if any thing that you want to fiberglass has the potential of soaking up liquid, I would say just to leave that alone and add the resin over it. Then I would say that if you want to keep everything stock then I would just add resin to the panel, no fiberglass mat or anything then smooth it out, if you are wanting to keep all of the curves but you want to get rid of any gaps, then I would say to get stretchy material and cover the hole panel as cleanly as possible and then use resin, keep everything as smooth as possible. then smooth it out with body filler.

The headliner, if you just want it to have a smooth painted finish, and it is the carpt type material, I would just  use resin on the material and smooth it out, if you are going to add anything to it like a screen then I would then use the stretchy material, and then fiberglass it.

Matt

ls6tt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

ok so you say just take my stock door panels and resin over the cloth stuff thts on there now...sand it down get it even and then paint it??

kustomcarluvr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, just resin the whole thing, sand it smooth and if you need some bondo use it, then get it smooth then paint it.

Matt

ls6tt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

thanks..im going to do that..i might just put a layer of glass on it to be on the safe side...

what about vynil can i put resin on vynil and smooth it out..i want to smooth my dash out but there are some pieces of vynil

kustomcarluvr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

I would get the vinyl off first, vinyl will not soak up resin and it could make it crack if you just left it alone.

Matt

ls6tt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

a nevermind then i will just repaint the dash..glass the doors and headliner as well as my center console...thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic