icon

Car Stereo Grounding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
muppetmaster 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
I was reading in my Car Stereo Cookbook i bought, and I came across something interesting.  It said the best way to ground multiple devices is to go to a distro block, and then run a ground wire all the way back to the same grounding point as the battery, eliminating ground loops.  Is this right?  In past installs, I just drill a hole in the frame under the trunk, and I haven't had any problems with noise.  Maybe they are talking about IF you have ground loops...
G4uk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

Depends what the system is really, grounding everything at the same point goes a long way towards eliminating a potential difference between various components in the system ie. head unit,amps,crossovers etc. The chassis of these components would usually all need to be at ground potential, however this isn't always practical, often in the case of power amps, these would be mounted remotely from the head unit, in the boot/trunk and because of power loss considerations the ground lead sould be as short as possible.

Keep ground connections as short as you can, clean paint or contamination from the point of connection ie. chassis or body work and ensure a sound mechanical and electrical fixing especially at the base of the antenna/mounting, if this is designed to be grounded, most are but some are not.

Regards.

g4uk

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Now Stephen Kephart (I think, he'll probably post up as well I hope) and I had a nice battle going about resistance on a ground lead. Most installers do not even think to check this. A high resistance on a ground lead will cause headaches for amplifiers. Make sure you check the resistance on the ground return to see what the resistance is. Make sure the ground points are nice and clean first, upgrade the ground from battery to chassis next (especially if you have multiple amps), next check that resistance on the return between the ground point in the back and the battery negative post, if the resistance is high, then it is time to wire the ground direct to the battery.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
muppetmaster 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info!
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

You could probably do any number of installs with multiple grounding points and have no problems.  However, that one time you have to chase down a ground loop, it kind of negates the time savings from all the other installs.  I've had noise-free installs with multiple ground points, and I've had a handful that were noisy, but I have *never* had noise in an install that used a single-point ground.  Guess how I wire the grounds now that I'm older and wiser?

Scott Gardner

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic