icon

6 1/2'' speaker opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gizak 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I'm semi-new to the whole car stereo thing and was looking for some of your expert advise.

I recently installed a new car stereo deck, JVC KD LH-3100, and although it works fine, the sound is terrible.  Much worse then the stock system that was in previously.  I'm assuming it's due to the 50w x 4 trying to go out to my stock 25w 6 1/2 speakers (my car is an '02 nissan sentra, all 4 speakers are 6 1/2 i believe, the front also has 2 small tweeters built into the front columns).  I'm planning on replacing all the stock "panasonic" speakers with something better so that my sound is loud and crisp when i turn the volume up, not cracking.

I don't care too much about bass, as I will add a two 10's in the back amped, as money allows, but I do wan't something that will sound good in the meantime.  I don't plan on amplifying the four 6 1/2's.  I'll just utilize the deck's built in amp, so they don't need to be too pricey.  I noticed prices ranging from $30 to $200 per pair.

I briefly looked at some Rockford Fosgate 2-way and 3-ways, as their brand is reputable for being good.  I also like Pioneer and Infiniti.  Any opinions/advice on which path I should take or which brand/model to go with is much appreciated, Thanks.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
My personal favorite is infinity kappa series. they have eother 2 way (62.5I) or 3 way (63.5I).
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

CDT or MB Quart. these two are great makers speakers.  At www.thezeb.com

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

So let me get this straight, you replaced the factory player with a new JVC and it sounds like a$$, so the speakers are at fault? or did I misinterpret what you were saying, like you had the cd player in a different vehicle with different speakers. If you did replace the factory deck (which sounded better - probably made by Panasonic) with a JVC what makes you think speakers will make it sound better? Well the good thing is that speakers will make it sound better (depending on the brand and fit), but it all starts at the cd player. If what was once, sounded better, then you just took a step in the wrong direction, I did not mean to offend you if I have, just an opinion. Let us know exactly what you did.

Describe the sound for us, is it distorted or crackling? There may be a hidden amp in the car (although I doubt it). Is the bass on your cd player cranked up?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Gizak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

Correct, I replaced the stock (clarion) generic deck with an aftermarket, pricey JVC deck.  The power that the new deck is putting out, I'm assuming is too much for the generic (panasonic) stock speakers.  The sound is alright, but if I turn the volume up too high, it begins to crack.  I  had to turn down settings in the "power" output section, not the equalizer,  in the new JVC deck just so that I can make my volume a bit louder without cracking.  I also tinkered with the equalizer but just changing settings in the power output or master volume section helped more.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

how high are you turning it up before you start clipping (cracking in your terms, clipping is the proper term)......in most cases stereos are only supposed to go up to about 3/4 of the full volume before you hear distortion or clipping.....if you're looking to get a louder volume without clipping......you need to 1) have a quality HU (if it comes out of the deck soundin sh*tty, its gonna go everywhere else like that too).......2) have quality speakers (some four ways are prolly best in most conditions)........3) good staging (im still learning staging, cant help ya out here).......and 4) if you want a louder volume then you need an amp for your speakers

hope that helped some     -matt

promodeepcycle 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
jvc's internal amp sux i sell them quite alot because of price point and they work for most people the nice thing about that deck is the 7 band eq if tune right sounds ok at best ... one common misconseption is the whole 50x4 crap the decks only put out 15-22 watts most around 17-18 .. yes your "stock" system was a match done by nissan who installed your stereo .? where there any caps put on the speakers? if you dont have caps and it was a professional install.. i.e. not chucks audio... or don pedros you can do some speakers .. depends on the type of tunes you listen to.... rock rap .....elect. country.... metal dome tweeters or fabric ... go to your local shop and just ask to hear a sample of both types.. and see what you like first..
dont be a pet monkey ..use your dmm
Gizak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

I'm turning it up fairly loud before the clipping occurs, although, it's not as loud as it was before i changed out the deck.  For me, loud enough is to the point where i can yell the lyrics and not hear my shat voice lol.  And yes, I have caps.  I just need somebody to loan me some good speaker to test out my theory hehe.  I like the deck for the features, i'm not an insane perfectionist when it comes to sound, I was just expecting an upgrade to my system sound instead of a downgrade from changing out the deck and I'm hoping the speakers are the failing point.

Thanks so far for the comments, please keep them coming if you have any, and if you have any suggestions on 6 1/2's, and 6 1/2's that come with the external tweeters (hopefully that fit in the stock area of the sentra), please voice it.  I'm learning much here and appreciate the help.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I am definitely not an expert, nor am I even a professional installer, but my two cents is that I've never heard stock speakers strong enough to sound clear at the volume level you are talking about.  After reading your last post, I would be willing to venture a guess that there is nothing wrong with your radio or your speakers.  You are just asking too much out of them.   It is time for you to upgrade, my friend.  I always recommend a component set as a replacement for the front speakers.  Being that I am not sure your level of knowledge, a component set comes with 2 midrange woofers, for your car probably 5.25 or 6.5.  The set also comes with two tweeters usually 3/4-1 inch.  Finally, the set comes with two crossovers, one for each side of the vehicle.  It comes as one inclusive set and personally I think is much better than just getting replacement door speakers.  I am fortunate enough to have pods in my doors for tweeters, so I didn't have to modify anything to fit my component set.  If you do not have a factory space for tweeters, you may want to start with just replacing the door speakers.  Maybe one day you'll delve into the world of kick panels.  That's probably a long way away.   For now, upgrading the factory speakers will help, and getting an amp to power those speakers will really help.  That's my opnion anyway.
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
If the problem is that it isn't loud enough, and it is clipping when you try to make it loud enough, then you need an amplifier.  Forbidden is correct when he says you aren't getting that "50 watt" rating to the speakers.  My guess is that you turned up some boost in the head unit, causing it to clip it's internal amplifier a little earlier.  But if you buy a 2 channel amp and even hook it up to the front factory speakers, then you will get what you are looking for.  That's where I recomend starting, and then upgrade the front speakers later on.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic