icon

6 1/2'' speaker opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Won't amplifying factory speakers most likely blow them?  I always thought that pretty much any amount of power above what a head unit will destroy factory speakers.
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
If the factory speakers say 25 wattas on them, I'd put my money down that 50 watts rms, possible even up to 60ish wouldn't blow them.  However, a there's now way around the fact that todays decks do not provide sufficent power to the average person looking for "loud" music.  A quick suggestion would be to buy an amp before anything else, if possible purchase everything at once.  As far as amp selection, I would look into something that puts out 40 watts rms if your plannin gon keeping for facotry speakers for a while.  However if your planning on buying nice speakers, look into the 75+ watts RMS amps and you won't be disspointed.  I'm not sure your price range.  Once we get your price range I'm sure we could all help you out.
R.Troy
Gizak 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

I could be wrong but that doesn't make any sense to me.  I wasn't turning up any boost in the head unit, in fact I was tuning it down from default.  If what you're saying is now I need an amp to make my stock speakers louder - or as loud as they were before, then the internal amp in my factory head unit was more powerful then the one that came with my aftermarket head unit?  I suppose it's possible, but that would just be wrong hehe.

And thanks Ezekial for the suggestion on component sets, the sentra does have built in sockets where stock tweeters are so that will be nice to upgrade as well, just need to check how the stock wiring is setup.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Honestly, I don't think you have a problem.  Your expectations are ahead of your capabilities, that's all.  You are definitely ready for the full upgrade.  You got the car audio bug, and I got news for you, it will never go away.  Once you go aftermarket, you'll never be able to go back.  Personally, I love it.  I am always trying to learn more about it everyday.  I think once you get some new speakers and an amp, you will find happiness with your audio system and the next thing you know, you'll be fiberglassing your whole car.  Your car will be made of fiberglass,lol.  Good luck.

I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
Gizak 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hehe, I'm trying to avoid that!!  Already fell into that hole with my PC building.  I originally wanted to go all out, dvd / gps navigation etc etc, but finally convinced myself that it wasn't financially smart.  Trying to stay mid-range to upper mid-range, but the more I know, the more I want.   NEED MORE POWER!!  Lol.  Damn christmas, forcing me to save money for other ppls gifts when I know they won't buy me car stereo stuff, they'll give me socks or cd-r's !!  Hehe. 

Anyways, I'm trying to stay around $200 to replace the 4 stock speakers/2tweeters.  And hopefully $500-600 on 2 woofers and an amp.  We'll see how well I can control myself, any suggestions within those budgets would help me out.  I'm finding good prices on e-bay but I'm not buying until I get all the facts.  If there's one thing smart I'm doing, it's researching before I on a shopping spree.  Any suggestions on good deals for the average-upper average speakers works for me.  Don't need 200watt 6.5's if I don't plan on buying an amp for 'em.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
I know exactly what you mean and I know you probably have your mind made up, but I can't urge you enough to reconsider not buying on amp for your interior speakers.  I understand the budget, believe me.  I would recommend buying a component set to replace the fronts, and a small two-channel amp to run those.  I would completely avoid rear speakers, they are unnecessary and in a car as small as a sentra, if your front speakers are decent, you won't even notice that there is no sound in the back.  Then, I would get one sub rather than two, probably one ten inch.  Gives you some nice fill, which is definitely necessary in my book.  You could get a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub and a 2 ohm stable mono amp to run it.  I think that would be a pretty inexpensive way to go.  In terms of brands, that's a very tough call.  As I'm sure you know, everybody has different tastes in what sounds good to them.  Give me an hour, I'll come back with some ideas. 
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
haha this dude went from only wantin to replace his HU........to new components, couple amps, new speakers (possibly) and now a sub.......and all this in under 20 posts........yea man you got the car audio bug.....and like phoenix said.....it NEVER goes away.....i just got my first car 6 months ago.....all i was gonna do was put in a (cheap) cd player, and new speakers cuz they were blown.........haha yea right......i have over a grand in my POS car now.......whats funny is i bump louder than the rich kids.......give it time man you'll learn all you want to know eventually, but i think phoenix is right......you're just asking too much out of you're lil system......give it time
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I would seriously look at the Alpine Type R Components on ebay. I am not sure if you need 5.25 or 6.5, but they have both sizes on ebay.  The model number of the 6.5 is SPR-176 A and the model number of the 5.25 is SPR-134A.  The 176A set costs about $130.00 shipped and the 5.25 is about ten bucks cheaper.  Those speakers have an rms of 40 watts, which is perfect for what you are looking for.  I think these speakers are a great place for you to start.  They are good quality and a steal and the prices on ebay. 
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

my ma has nissan sentra with the same speaker setup.  you must be listening to you music crazy loud.  I put a LOC on it and two 8" subs and disconnected the factory amp, and it sounds a whole lot better.  For rear passengers i put in some clarion 6.5 2 ways so they can get some highs.

For over all better sound is to replace all the speakers, disconnect the factory sub, cuz all the distortion is coming from that.  Then add a single 10 to fill in.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic