icon

95 jeep wrangler power troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justin_92_92 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

Here is my situation. I have a problem with my power wire to my stereo. I have the red wire hooked to the ignition wire. Then the ground is hooked up rite. But my constant power doesnt provide power at all times. I was wondering if there was any way I can bring power from another source to it so it works rite, I as of now have had my power run from the battery rite to my yellow wire. But this causes it to kill my battery, should that draw that much power where it kills my battery over night? So I also was wondering what the heck the pink wire goes to. If I hook the pink wire to the constant power wire it works but doesnt keep a memory. Any ideas or suggestions would be very very great. I am thinking about just getting lessons on singing and doing away with the stereo :) . I do not have a clock in this jeep besides the one on the radio if that means anything to ya about getting the power from a differnt source. If i hook it up the way it should yellow to the constant and red to the  ignition wire and the ground to a ground cable it doesnt work at all. But if I throw the pink wire in to the eqatiuon I can turn it on :(

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
If you run the power (yellow wire) to the battery it should not drain power to kill battery. If the ignition wire(red wire) is hooked up right that should shut radio off when key is turned off. I have no idea what the pink wire is suposed to be maybe a cell phone mute wire ?.i think you have a draw of current somewhere among the radio wires and this is draining the battery try a different ground wire and use a ignition wire off the ignition cylinder.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you don’t have things wired correctly, below is the wiring diagram for your car

RADIO 12V|pink/white          |+  |radio                       |

|     RADIO GROUND|                    |   |                            |
|     RADIO SWITCH|pink                |+  |radio                       |
| RADIO ILLUMINATE|BLACK / YELLOW *2     |+  |radio                       |
|       LF SPEAKER|green - brn/red     |   |radio                       |
|       RF SPEAKER|purple - blue       |   |radio                       |
|       LR SPEAKER|brn/yel - brn/lt blu|   |radio                       |
|       RR SPEAKER|blu/wht - blu/pnk   |   |radio 

(Double check all wires with a voltage meter before making any connections)                 

Now on your aftermarket radio hookup the red /accessory wire to the radio's pink wire located in the factory radios harness .

Hook up the aftermarket yellow /constant to the factory radio harnesses pink/white wire
Hook up the ground to the chassis.

This should give you the proper power connections. I would also suggest that instead of butchering the factory radio harness that you buy a wiring kit http://autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=joomrrg0 which will give you the same color coded connections as your aftermarket radio.

justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
well I have butcherd my factory harness already, but I have labeld everything to a tee. I know what everyone did and what color it went to. I do have the adapter for this jeep but I thought I would just get rid of the confusing crap load of wires becouse I dont use the radio speaker wires. my woofers and my mid range all come out of my rca cables.    SO what your saying is (ill say this as if i had the after market adapter hooked up) if I hook the pink wire to the constant power on the stereo and hook .....uh oh I see it says pink twice... Ok i think I know what ya mean. SO the solid pink wire is my switch wire? Cause as of now I have my red wire run as the switch wire. I did notice that the pink wire has power when switch is on but then again so does the red wire. All I care about is getting the switch and the constant hooked up rite without it killing my battery over night. If I unplug my stereo completely it doesn't effect the battery at all. I belive my so called constant is not getting the constant power it should. Also does the constant put out  a whole 12 volts when switchg is off? And If i have a power wire run off the battery and to the constant of the stereo direct and the remote hooked up rite and the stero shuts off should it kill my battery to begin with? 
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
your constant will show power all the time regardless of the switch position ,your acc wire will show power in the accesory position sometimes you will use an ignition lead this wire will show 12 volts in the ignition position accesory position and while the car is running but will not show 12 volts when the car is off.
if all is hooked up right your battery will not drain.
You have your wires messed up checj the characteristics i have stated and hook up accordingly.
justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
thanx for the info. I am goin to try these things in the morning and will see what I come up with. Hope I can get it all figured out. I cant wait for a morning with a full battery. Jump starting sucks in the cold winter. (duh I shoulda just pulled the fuse for the night before:(
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
some radios i have seen have a resistor inline on the red wire this will cause the battery to drain if it is conected to a constant source of power(this red wire must be connected to a switched power wire). This may be the case with your install.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic