icon

Name for Shop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
muppetmaster 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

As recently opening up my own little garage install shop, I thought it might be a good idea to get some new ideas and pointers.  I looked on Select Products website and saw they had a DVD set on how to's ranging from fiber, carbon fiber, motorization... stuff like that.  I didn't know if i should get it, since it costs about $250.  I gave it some thought and went for it.  Let me tell you, it is worth every dollar.  They go into very good detail I thought on things that I have never done before.  I have done numerous installs before, but now I wanted to go to a more pro look, and I found the guys to show me how.  I have always heard that good intstallers never want to give up their secrets, but these guys explained a lot of things.  I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get some tips and pointers.  Also, with me starting up my little shop, any good ideas for a name?  I want something evil sounding... Twisted..... Demon..... Hell's Kitchen....  I was thinking about Twisted Image Mobile Electronics (TIME), but I think someone that posts here already has Twisted Image (wouldn't want to steal your thunder dude).  Anyways, if you have any ideas let me know, and my props to SP.

muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
I recently opened my own backyard install shop.  So far I have done most of my installs for my friends and their buddies.  I want to broaden my influence a little bit, and in order to do so, my shop needs a name.  Anyone have any ideas?  I want something evil sounding... Twisted..... Demon..... Hell's Kitchen....  I was thinking about Twisted Image Mobile Electronics (TIME), but I think someone that posts here already has Twisted Image (wouldn't want to steal your thunder dude).  If anyone has any ideas, they are appreciated.  Either post them here, or you can email me.  Also, any good ideas on how to spread the word?  I know to make your own show vehicle is a good idea, which I am doing.  I have a 3000GT VR4 which I am working on right now.  Thinking about finishing it off with neon backlit plexiglass with the shop name on it.  Thanks for any ideas and info!!
zacdavis 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  

My advice to you would lean toward the opposite of what you want. just my opinion now, ok?, but i think something contemporary sells well, remember you want your customer base to be as broad as possible. I know a few a soccer moms that might not stop at Hells Kitchen, although a cool name, maybe not the most practical. But what do I know,  I'm sure you've got a solid grasp of who you want walking in your doors. Myself, I would like to get as many customers as possible, even dealers. When you get this thing going smooth sit down and write a proposal for a local used car dealership and go from there. Even  your local boat marina needs you, tell them that.  Your proposal should be detailed with reasons why your work will help them sell. For instance, the car dealer could run a special with a free remote start with the purchase of any vehicle, or the boat salesman needs to know how to sell the customer xm or cirrus satellite for the new pontoon, it's endless. If you want to succeed in the business, my advice is diversity, however it's relative to the size of your client base. Back to your shop name, just be sure that you like it before you go all the way(tax info,sellers permit). I kind of regret my business name,"Tinker Toy Customs", I have since changed my letterheads, business cards, and sign to "TTcustoms". but the rest sticks.

heres another way to get yor name out, take your cards to local bars, nightclubs, and grocery stores, and peg'em up on the board. you can e-mail me if you want to trade some info, or even product.

btw, my shop is so "young"  that i only buy clearence items from my distributors, haha, and who has xtra time & money for a doctor, superglue that razorblade cut! lol

I wish you the best of luck, (your not in my area?... right?haha)

later bro

muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
You have some great ideas there.  Until i can actually physically open the doors so to speak, I still have time to think of the name.  I say this because I am in the Air Force and I am currently overseas in Korea.  I don't have room to really stock anything.  I just listen to what the customer is looking for in audio and multimedia, and advise them on different products.  We order them online.  When they get here I do custom installs, mostly 'glassin and some plexi here and there, but i am starting to tinker with carbon.  By the way, I don't really know what to charge for some of this labor.  What would you charge for a two sub fiber enclosure, painted?  An amp install?  Head unit?  Components?  I recently took $200 for a two sub fiber enclosure, and I don't know if that was enough.  I am gonig to be in Germany for three years on my next tour, so I should have plenty of time to get the word out there.  The only sucky thing is that I will be moving from time to time.  Thanks for all the info zac, you solved a lot of questions!!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

Not evil, but some good suggestions:

Safe and Sound

Safe N Sound

Save on Sound

Sonic Care

Sounds Good

Sound Good

Audible Solutions

Surreal Sounds

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  I'll try to come up with more.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Which distributor do you plan to use? or are you doing the web order thing.   I think we should have a round up and vote on the 12Volt.com distibutor of the year.  i can think of a couple.
muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I am just going to use the web order thing until I get out of the military.  Then I can open up a real shop, without having to move around all of the time, and make a name for myself in one place.  I do most of my ordering through e-bay, www.onlinecarstereo.com, and Select Products.  Even though SP is a bit on the expensive side, with most of the things they sell, you get what you pay for.  Do you know of any other good sites?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

www.aampofamerica.com

www.microalarms.com

iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I know you are going for the high quality new stuff, but for the cheap factor and some quality stuff, you cant beat thezeb.com free shipping too

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic