icon

Best Way to Face Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LowXtreme 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I had two 12 Rockford Fosgate HE2 and the bass would sound awesome in the cab, but outside not so loud. I had the subs facing behind the seats, so i can see some loss there. Is it better to face them up towards the roof?
By the way I have a Chevy s-10
geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

You might try firing them down at the floor, leaving just a 2-3 inches of space between them and the floor.

This will accomplish two things:

1) Compound load them into the floor (compound loading is very much black magic.. doesn't shift frequency response, so let's stick with 2-3 inchesBest Way to Face Subs -- posted image.)
2) direct the bass energy largely under your front seats - if you can further intentionally direct the energy that way it could prove beneficial - to give more of that "up front bass" illusion.

Really, firing them any other direction is not likely to actually gain you anything.

Firing them straight up, in fact, is likely to present the most direct path to your ears.

It's not a good thing, in that if there are any anomolies, resonances, harmonics, or other distortions of a higher-frequency-content nature (and most subs do), it'll ruin that "bass up front" image, because the human ear is progressively more locating sound source as the frequencies do increase (which is precisely why you set your LP filter on your amp around 80Hz or soBest Way to Face Subs -- posted image.)

flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
k i got a Q i have an explorer and a bandpass which way should i face em??? i have them faceing the back of my car.... yes i knwo trash the bandpass
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
yes def trash the band pass, if you go with sealed face them towards the trunk, if you get ported face the ports through the rear deck.
Quad L Handyman services
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
flatulatta, I have an Explorer and the best ive seen is towards the rear. BUT, since you have a bandpass i dont think it would really matter which way you put it since the sound is coming out the ports only.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic