icon

bass blockers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
how do they work and do they eleminate all the bass from the speaker they are hooked up 2...i notice a good bit of distortion comes from bass and i want to eleminate the bass from the speakers while keeping my bass output fairly high for my subs would this be the best route to go.. any suggestions would be aweomse thx
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
they work fairly well i usually double them up in line as to eliminate the most bass. they just filer out the low freq.
Quad L Handyman services
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
wait a minute........alright....when i turn up my lows in my HU, i always get more bass in the vocals which i dun want cuz then it sounds muddy, so if i put caps on my speaker leads would this do the trick?, or will the vocals just sound like sh*t?
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
they are built and designed to eliminate low freq. which would "eliminate" the bass in your speakers to a point.
Quad L Handyman services
JL3GEclipse 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
before any suggestions are made, what equipment do you have in the car now?  If your stereo has adjustable xover or boost points then you may be able to use them to solve the problem
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

caps are a great inexpensive way of protection your other speakers. If you have two or 3way speakers you already have a cap on them (have a look at the tweeters positive speaker lead). What you require is a larger cap to filter out the lower frequencies yet leave the midbass frequencies intact. A cap is installed on your positive speaker lead either just before the speaker or right after the headunit. A 6db / octave slope is generally used (cus it is simple and inexpensive) ofr most speakers. What size speaker do you have in the vehicle, this will allow me to find the right value on the caps. Now if your deck has built in x-overs this may be a moot point. Most cd player do not have crossovers that operate on the built in amp so you should probably proceed with the caps.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
i have an alpine deck its a higher end one i dont know the model off hand... i have a 96 explorer with premium stereo and the factory speakers
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
So which one of the Exploders lining the driveway are er installing in today? The green one... ahhh yes. For a crossover of around 200hz use a 400mf non polar mylar capacitor, available at Radio Shack for dirt cheap. Cut the positive lead going to the speaker and install it inline. For a higher crossover point of let's say 400hz, use 200mf caps. Hope this helps.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
thx forbidden if the problem persists i will try that..... but i found that i have a high pass filter so i jsut set that one on at around 180hz and its perfect for now.....btw how did u know that i have a green explorer?
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
OK im no genious and i dont even know if this is true, but i read in a car and home audio book that bass blockers actually do more damage to the speakers, by creating more distortion and reducing the amount of clean sound... i dont know if this is true, can someone shed some light?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic