icon

Power Supply

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

But if you have a clean, heavy-gauge connection between the alternator and the battery (as you should), than the quality of the DC voltage will be identical at both spots.  Try it out sometime with an oscilloscope.  Electrically, the positive terminal of the battery and the positive terminal of the alternator are equavalent points.  If they aren't , then you have a poor connection between the two.

Scott Gardner

flashalexb 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

Aight Ive takin it off the the alternator. But my battery is all the way under my strut bar, fuse box, and window washier fluid reseivor. But there is a terminal that is used to make jump starting easier. So can I hook it up to this? It should still be the same thing as hooking it up to the battery but in a different place. Ohh and by the way my car is a 96 Buick Regal. Damn I hate the way they hid the battery.

flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Durwood that is what my uncle was telling me and that is why I hooked it up to the altenator in the first place but as of right now its not hooked up to anything. I just need to know if it would be alright to hook the power up to the terminal which would be ohh so nice if I can without there being any problems. But the rest of my install peices will be here tomorrow so I will be able to test and find out..

Durwood 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you can hook up either to the jump-start post or to the positive terminal to the alternator.  They are all electrically equivalent and will provide identical "quality" power, IF YOU HAVE CLEAN, HEAVY-GAUGE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN THE THREE POINTS!!!  Sorry to yell, but that's a very important point.  If you use the alternator or jump-start terminal, make sure that the connection from there back to the battery is clean, and at least as large as the power wire you're using for your amplifier.

As for there being "ripples" at the alternator, but not at the battery, that's impossible, unless there's a poor connection or some component other than a wire connecting the two.  For "ripples" to appear at one end of a wire, and not the other, would violate Kirchoff's Voltage Law.

Scott Gardner

flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx Durwood I wish I knew all of this before I unwired it from the altenator im using 4 guage wire and the jump start post is hooked up with an 8 guage wire. How much of a difference will this make because I can get to my battery(which I did today but I put it back together) Except I dont know how to get the power cable on the battery because its not only a screw it also has this big red thing and I cant get the screw out of the redthing to attach the power cable.
Durwood 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

As long as it's a short, clean 8-gauge connection, you're probably okay.  How much current do you expect your amplifier to draw?

Get a multimeter and take a resistance measurement between the jump-start terminal and the positive terminal of your battery.  If the reading is zero, or at least less than a few hundredths of an Ohm, I'd say you're safe.

Scott Gardner

flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

The distance is like 1 foot so it should be pretty good. Im hoping if not I can always connect it to the battery some how later.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
I've used the jump start post for every amp install I've ever done on a W-body. It works fine
flashalexb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Aight sounds like Im in luck Im going to use the jump start post unless anyone else begs to differ.
Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I agree fully with durwood. as long as the resistance on the wire from the alternator to the battery is very low it is the same electrical point.
Steve@A.E.S
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic