icon

Alero Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

I am in the process of installing a Bulldog remote start in an Alero.  All of the connections are solid and everything functions except for that it will only stay running for a few seconds and then kill. 

I haven't installed anything for the passlock II yet but I thought that this wouldn't even allow the car to start.  is this normal?

Also, for installing a passlock bypass, I have found three different methods but i would like to know if the simplest one I found would actually work.  It consisted of simply using a resistor and one relay.  Cutting the yellow wire and connecting both sides of the wire to the normally closed portion of the relay.  Then connecting a resistor of the required value to the normally open lead of the relay and the orange wire.  Then connecting the relay coil to the remote start's Ignition output.  It makes sense for what I know.  I have bypassed VATS in the same manner.

And no I don't want to by a bypass module.  I'd rather spend five bucks in relays, resistors, and diodes than 30 to 50.

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
One other thing.  I noticed that if you start this vehicle with the remote start and kill it with the remote start the radio remains on until you open the driver's side door.  Is this a feature that times itself out or will the radio play forever if you do this without going to your car to open the door.  If so is there a way to trigger the door switch while shutting the remote start down from the remote?
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Yes that bypass method will work. Use the (-) out when running from the starter as the trigger. Also, make sure the resistor is very close to the value, or you should use a trimpot. You may need to turn the key to start before pressing the brake to turn off the RS thoug or else you might throw the security light. Only worry about this after it happens though. Also, did you install an anti-grind relay? If you did you may want to take it out, I believe there should be a factory anti-grind feature and installing another will cause problems.
I think the radio will shut off after about 10 minutes, but if you want to shut it off immediately, then you need to pulse the doorpin witha pulse after shutdown, like your lock wire if it is programmed to lock after shutdown. Diode isolate the wires if you branch off the lock wire.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info. 

I don't think this unit is set up to lock after shutdown.  I think i will see if the lights flash after shutdown.  If it does it in the right order maybe I can tap a relay off of that. 

The door locks only work if all of the doors are closed and i am afraid of getting that part of the system confused by messing with the door switch.  I think I will test to see if it will shut down on it's on in ten minutes.  I just hope that isn't long enough to drain my battery.

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
What unit is it? Most units will automatically lock after shutdown, or you can program it to. If you want, you can hook it up to the lock wire and just lock your doors with the remote.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
The unit is just a bulldog rs202.  I just noticed that the car itself unlocks itself when you turn off the engine.  I believe it does the same thing when the unit is used.  I was thinking of hooking up a normally closed relay to the door switch so that it opens momentarily when the doors are unlocked.  I still have to figure out the details. 
richi 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
if u want to save 20 bucks go ahead , but it sounds pretty rough to do it that  way . scary, i would just suck it up and buy a proven bypass and make your life easier. to begin with your using one of the lowest grades of rs to begin with so atleast use a bypass that wont leave the car stranded somewere. sorry for being blunt.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

The only way this bypass method would leave the car stranded somewhere is if the relay would stick in the on position.  I would think that that is pretty unlikely and I am willing to take the chance.

My whole idea was to do things cheap.  You notice that the remote start is probably the cheapest model out there unless you were to go with a no name brand.  The bypass would cost more than the rs.

jrilla 
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
The unlocking of the doors is a factory feature that you can de-program if you want to. You probably dont want to have your doors unlocking after shutdown.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I was thinking that also.  You would need to relock it after a shutdown by remote and who is going to think of that.  You wouldn't have any idea on how to do that programming or where to find a way to do so would you?  I hope it's not something that you need to take it into a gm shop for.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic