icon

Hooking up defrost on Valet 554R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ErickSaint 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'm waiting on my 554R to arrive. I noticed a few features like defrost and turbo timer are available on this unit that are not on the Hornet 554T. But after downloading both the install and owners manuals for both units they are the same. There is no reference on how to hook up these new features. I don't need the turbo timer, but would like to use the defrost.

I have read the other posts about hooking up a defrost. I was thinking of doing a winter/summer switch as was desribed in one of those posts. Does the feature hook up to the "orange (-)200mA accessory relay turn on lead" of the "5 pin remote start ribbon harness"?

Can anybody shed some light on the use of these extra features and why there is really no desription of them in the manuals? Any help would be appreciated.

Erick

impedance2low 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Both of these units (the 554t and the 554r) can run the defroster.

Use the light GREEN/ black wire in the 3-pin harness to energize a relay toprovide (+) or (-) to the switched wire at your rear window defroster switch.

This wire will show +12V or GND only when the switch is operating.  Depending on what the wire needs, connect the relay appropriately. 

Tip:  you may want to set your remote start to run at the length of time you vehicle's defroster works.  That way when you go to re-start your vehicle, the defroster will energize again and not much time will pass that the defroster is off.

Also, you would probably not want to use the orange (acc) wire to power a relay to do this because this wire will energize the circuit for as long as the RS is started, this could damage your rear defroster if it got too hot or the circuit needs to rest at another state after the timed amount has expired.

I can't find any info on Turbo timer, however I am sure it has to do with the remote being set to do something, probably no an additional connection to the brain.

Hope this helps

ErickSaint 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

Exactly the info I was looking for. The orange wire was only a guess by looking at the wire diagram in the end of the install manual. This being my first DEI install I'm not too familiar with all the wiring.

Setting the runtime is a good suggestion, I will have to check my book for the car and see if they state a time for the defrost. It seems like it stays on forever untill I shut the car off. But since it has been getting colder I have not really been on any long trips, longest I have probably driven has been 20 or so minutes. Since I don' have a bitwriter to program it with I only have 3 choices, 12, 24, or 60 minutes, I will just have to pick the closest one.

I have still found no info on the turbo timer either and I just got done re-reading both manuals.

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
DEI uses the phrase *Turbo Timer* in general terms. In the past for those customers who had a turbo equiped vehicle who ran their vehicles very hard prior to shut down.
To prevent *c**keing* or the situation of the impellers from seizing. A turbo timer was designed to keep the vehicle running for a specified period of time to allow the turbo and its parts to cool down.
This in essense is a RS unit. What DEI is meaning / stating is that, if you RS your vehicle and remove the key, the vehicle will remain on for the duration you have programmed it for.
I hope that answers your Q.
Regards
EVIL Teken. . .
ErickSaint 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

Ahhhh Ok that makes more sense. So it's actually just like doing a Valet Take Over. Just seems like they should put this info in the manual somewhere if they are going to use these things as selling points. Thanks for clearing that up.

Any

ErickSaint 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmm I cant seem to edit that last post. I was going to ask if anybody knew what exactly this Transmitter Zap is that I'm reading about on the new unit, this would be the last thing I'm really curious about.

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
ErickSaint,
Could you do me a favor and right down exactly what the DEI literature says, word for word?
I have not seen this phrase before. Hooking up defrost on Valet 554R -- posted image.
If they mean to remove a lost / stolen remote(s) and its codes from the system. Perhaps that is what the phrase means.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
brunetmj 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
I am still learning the art of installing remote starters so I do not claim to be an expert. In regard to using a "ground" while the remote is operating (orange wire)seems to me to be risky because it could exceed the timer of the defroster. What should be used is a pulsed ground found on some remote starter models.
It sends a quick pulse to ground and then stops. This simulates the defroster button being pushed. Someone correct me if I am incorrect.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
there is a short run time mode on this alarm via the remote this is a turbo timer mode, the setting for normal run time never changes,read the book it tells you in the ownwers manual how to set turbo mode.the run time is adjustable from 1 minute 5 minute etc .
ErickSaint 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

Teken,

I was just looking over a few sites that sell the Valet system, http://www.asianwolf.com/valet554r.html number 8 refers to nothing more than Transmitter Zap. Also there is a reference to it on the Directed site, if you go to the feature comparison for Valet it also have Transmitter Zap listed.

mobiletoys,

Thanks for the info. I will have to re-read the manual again but for now all I have is the PDF manual I downloaded from the DEI site, perhaps the new print versions have this info in it. I don't remember reading anything about these features in the online version, seemed to be that indenticle manual as the Hornet one. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic