icon

speaker cutoff?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sanad 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
well i have a set of Planet Audio componets in the front and they sound great but i have one problem everytime i want to turn it up the tweeters cutoff?? whats up with that? then when i turn the volume back down they come back on. On the crossover i have it set to +3dbs but that dosnt affect anything i dont think
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

You are lucky that they have built in tweeter protection.  It sounds like you are putting too much power to them.  This could be caused by the amplifier clipping.  Make sure the gains are set right.

If that isn't the problem, then you just can't turn it up that loud.  Every speaker I have heard has shut off way past the point that you are doing damage to your hearing.  If it is that loud, then I recomend turning it down. 

Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

It certainly might come from clipping your amplifier.  The lower frequencies could be clipping, which you might not be able to hear.  Meanwhile, as you turn the volume up, the power to the tweeters continues to increase, until they cut out.  Here's a link to a relevant article:

http://tinyurl.com/xgap

Also, if you have your crossover set to +3 dB for the tweeters, that will *absolutely* make a difference on when they cut out.  Try setting the crossover for the tweeters to flat or even -3 dB, if you can.

Scott Gardner

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic