icon

Foam Baffles?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
A question on our beloved foam baffles,lol.....when i secure these on my speakers......i use chalking strips to seal these bad boys to the speaker.....and then i cut a pin size hole to run the wires through and chalk that.....i'm just curious if you had a better technique to secure/seal the foam baffle to the speaker....i'm thinking of using fiberglass resisn and fiberglass matting....
*paw print*
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
you really should poke port holes into the baffle.  But if you have it because of water issues then thats a good choice, i would also fibre glass it.....but when you go that far you may as whell give it like .5 cube's, and throw some sound deadinning in there.
Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
I am curious, what speakers are they and where. why are you using the "foam baffles"?remember that most ( not all) car speakers are designed to run esentialy free air. As long as the wave comming off of the back of the speaker does not meet the front wave you are good to go. also the extent of any cancellation that might occur depends on how low  the speakers are being cross over at if at all. as wave lengths get longer ie. frequencies get lower the need for better baffling increases. If you completely seal the back side of the speaker you can also limit the frequency response as a sealed enclosure has a natural roll off of 6db per octave. the plus side is that your pwer handling does go up. you can download a program like blaubox and input the theil samll parameters to see  the effect on frequency on the enclosure size. sound deaden your doors and baffle from the front and you will probaly get the best results. but it all depends on the speakers.
Steve@A.E.S
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you have done all you can do.  Sealing it and plugging the hole is about all you can do. 

You will lose some frequency response but increase your handling capabilities.  You will also lengthen the life of your speakers if they are in the trunk.  The baffle will keep the back pressure of closing the trunk from damaging your speakers.

PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
yea i've been foam baffling on all my installs just for a more tighter sound and an insurance on my speakers, the vehicle's environment is not place for my speakers.....especialy in Boston,MA with the snow,salt, and bumps.....in my 86 300z i have mb quarts Q series all around.....and in my 88 mustang i have audionbahns all around (2 AS68Q 5x7 for the backs and 3.5 " AS31Q)  
*paw print*
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Foam baffles are a great way to protect the speakes when used in a trunk that has subwoofers, the shock wave of the subs will cause the smaller speakers cone to move, thus causing distortion. The foam baffle keeps the shock wave of the subs from interfering with the motion of the smaller driver.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Im getting that bad on the 6x9's in my accord...where could i pick a pair of these up?
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

For us in Canada, any auto parts store, stereo shop etc. Where u are, probably the same type of stores, they are about $20.00 pr canadian here.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
colaroaster 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
you can order baffles thru crutchfield
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

MAXST wrote:
Im getting that bad on the 6x9's in my accord...where could i pick a pair of these up?

you're in luck.....and i'm glad you asked cause i got a pair of 6x9 foam baffles that i don't need anymore cause i fabricated my own baffles cause of a difficult fitting.....i'll sell them to you and ship them to you for free for $15....these are spanking brand new never used XTC 6x9 foam baffles..I have paypal and i take money order if you want to proceed with this.....let me know....the pups got your hook up. Hit me up on

PuppysRme@hotmail.com

*paw print*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic